***URGENT*** Dell Optiplex 9020 - Additional External PSU to run ASUS Xonar ST *** URGENT***

joelb2424

Reputable
Oct 22, 2014
Dear Forum,

We bought a Dell Optiplex 9020, which has a proprietary PSU and Motherboard connection, therefore if cannot be upgraded. I need additional power for my ASUS Xonar Essence ST Card (4-pin MOLEX), since it works for about 15 seconds and then locks up. I tried daisy chaining the power from the HDD, but that was not sufficient and the Dell PSU.

It's past the 30 day return date, so I am stuck with this PC.

Has anyone used a second power supply for a sound/video card. Does this need to be somehow wired in parallel with the primary PSU or do I just have to turn on the second power supply as soon as I turn on the computer so that the sound card gets the power it needs as the motherboard is powering on ?

Please advise.

ePower makes (made?) external power supplies - primarily for video cards, but it did have a molex port as well if I recall.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817101044 (out of stock and I can't seem to find one with a quick search).

Of course, there are several more fundamental issues.

Firstly I don't believe that the PSU is so tightly balanced that one sound card will throw it off.

If this is the card, it's as old as the hills and I would suspect some issue with the card, rather than an issue with a new Dell's power supply.

kanewolf

Titan
There must be power for disk drives somewhere. You should be able to purchase a splitter which will provide a molex connector. There is SATA power going to the DVD drive.

You could use a splitter like this then a adapter. There may be more elegant cables available.

joelb2424

Reputable
Oct 22, 2014
Kanewolf - I tried to use the HDD power adapter to a 4-pin molex and this was not enough power for the card. The card kept turning off after playing, anywhere between 15-30 seconds, independent of volume. The Asus Xonar ST card says that is needs a dedicated power cable and my other Dell T5100 had a separate cable coming from the PSU and it worked just fine....