Noob Steam Probs

drockinwv

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
Just as the title says, I have quite a few games in my steam account that when I launch the game my screen goes completely black....? I have to go into task manager in order to close the game out. I have had this problem for awhile now and it is extremely frustrating. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

drockinwv

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
CPU: i7-4770k
GPU: Gigabyte G1 970 SLI
Ram Kingston 1600
PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750
Mobo: Asus Z97 Deluxe

It is not every game in my library, but definitely most of them. If it doesn't launch it will take multiple times to get working properly. I just installed the new 970s last night, but have the problems even before that even with my 780.

drockinwv

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013

Thanks for the info, I will give this a try once I get home this evening from work!

drockinwv

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013

Alright I gave this a try, erased all drivers and then downloaded new drivers and did a manual install.

One of the games I have been trying to play worked wonderful for about 20 minutes, until I had to pause the game to tend to my puppy lol when I came back I could not restart the game and now back to the same problems of going to a black screen when trying to launch????

Uhh, what do your temps look like?

If it "runs fine then suddenly stops" it sounds like you have aheat issue, and SLI'd high end cards will overheat like that, especially if the room the computer is in gets hots, and the computer then gets even hotter.

Maybe you can try taking one video card out and see if it's fine, and then try the other one by itself, could be you have one faulty card.

drockinwv

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
Temps on the cards are fine, the top card has only been as high as 77c while playing BF4. I had the same issue with Steam when I was using my single EVGA 780 SC ACX. Is there a way to delete Steam, and then just re download it, and not losing my saved game data lol?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
your game saves and such are all stored "in the cloud" so go for it, uninstall steam and all the games and then do a fresh install with no worries. i've done this a few times myself with no issues

drockinwv

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013

Almost seems like a best bet really, something somewhere is messed up and it could take forever to find it. I hate that Ive paid sooooooo much money on my hardware and games and I cannot even play what I want lol. This might be the only option I have. How do I go about installing my current games again, do I just do a search for them again or will they just show up under my account?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
they just show up in your library when you log in. simply select the ones you want to install and click install. only thing that can take a while is waiting for the games to download. depending on the games that can be a lot of data to bring in.

was nice for me the last time i did this i only installed the ones i wanted to play and saved a crap load of space not installing a lot of older stuff that was just sitting there.

drockinwv

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013

Thats another great reason, my SSD has about 2 free gigs left lol, I will move most games over to my HDD to free up some space.

What is the best way to go about deleting everything, just a simple control panel/uninstall programs move? Or is it more involved than that?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
been a while now but i'm pretty sure it asked if it should delete all data with the uninstall and i told it yes. don't remember having to delete each game one at a time.

but yes, just uninstall it with the control panel and then reinstall steam, log in and start adding games back.

drockinwv

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
Alright, I finally think I found out what my problem was. When FRAPS was running my Steam games had a hard time launching, with FRAPS closed the games will launch every time. It was a very long frustrating few weeks trying to figure this out, but that seems to be the problem, which sucks because I enjoyed having FRAPS open to see my current FPS. I have tried using EVGA Precision to monitor GPU stats, but have not had any luck getting the OSD to actually show up. I think this will be something I mess around with tonight once I get home. Thanks for every ones help!!