Help with some upgrades

deejay413

Honorable
Oct 22, 2014
This is my first post here. Tom's Hardware came highly recommended from my friends. I am looking for some help upgrading my PC.

Here's what I have:

Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge Quad-Core 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K

GPU - XFX Double D HD-695X-CDFC Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

Ram - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R

HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST3000DM001 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive

CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan

Power Supply - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750M 750W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Semi Modular High Performance Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready

Case - NZXT Phantom PHAN-003RD Red White Finish w/Red Trim Steel / Plastic Enthusiast ATX Full Tower Computer Case

I built this 2 years ago and I would like to start upgrading a little at a time. This is where I need some advice. Where do you think I should start? I game a lot, everything from MMO's to FPS. I have a large steam library so again I mostly game on this, some work but mostly game.

I would like to start where I can make the biggest impact. I also want to pick up a SSD. Again I will be upgrading piece by piece. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

PS - Sorry if there is too much or not enough info!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
For gaming, the biggest impact would be with a new Gfx card. Possible the GTX 970/980. I have the same CPU and MB along with a 290X. I'm not held back in any game at max/near settings.

deejay413

Honorable
Oct 22, 2014
Awesome thanks again for your help! This was my first build and I did no overclocking because it scares me lol. Maybe I will revisit it again. Any suggestions on a good overclocking guide? As you could probably tell I do not have a liquid cooled system just the 5 fans with the case.

Thanks!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You don't need liq cooling to OC, just an aftermarket cooler that is better than the stock Intel cooler. The 212 EVO is the best for the buck. if you have a case that is deep enough for it. Yours is. OC'ing the i5-2500K is pretty easy with its unlocked CPU clock multiplier. Enter BIOS and disable any Turbo mode options. Then raise the CPU multiplier 1 click at a time. Reboot and run something like Intel Burn Test at its default 10 pass run: http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4965-intelburntest.html
Keep an eye on temps with something like Real Temp: http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

Try to keep the "distance to Tj Max" in double digits. If temps are good and it passes IBT, repeat.

Eventually you will get to the point that the system won't boot or you fail the IBT run. You can then either back off to the last good setting and live with that, or raise the CPU vcore a tiny bit to make it stable again. Mine got to 4.2GHz on just the CPU multiplier alone.

deejay413

Honorable
Oct 22, 2014
Thanks again for the info. I think I will give this a try tonight! This may be a dumb question but what happens if I raise it too high and it won't boot? Will I still be able to get into the bios? What do I do? Sorry to sound so ignorant but this is the first time I have done anything like this.

Thanks!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I never had that happen with this board, so I can't say for sure. Most modern boards will notify you of a failed boot and offer the option to enter BIOS. If not, simply resetting the CMOS with the on-board jumper will reset everything to new as-bought condition. A pain because you have to reset any changes you made previously including the clock/date. So be sure to note any changes you made in the beginning (like changing SATA mode to AHCI).