Is one multi-GPU card in surround/eyefinity using SLI/crossfire?

DrScrambles69

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
I'm a bit confused...

I have a single gtx690 (a multi-GPU) and a triple monitor setup. I've been told by several people that the 690 is essentially the same as two gtx680's in SLI, just a bit slower.

But, in the nVidia control panel, if I set 'Span displays with Surround', is this TECHNICALLY considered 'SLI'? Surely not?

If a game has no support or serious issues with SLI/crossfire, will this effect a single multi-GPU card running that game in surround/eyefinity?

For example: I have an old game from 2001 (Grand Theft Auto III) which I would assume would obviously not support sli, given that sli didn't exist back then. But I can run the game fine in surround mode across 3 monitors, with BOTH GPU cores heating up (i.e. I assume both GPU's are being used).

Maybe this is a stupid question but I'm very confused re multi-GPU's vs. 2 completely separate gfx cards.

Thanks,
Dave.

Solution

ABagOfFritos

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
No, if it's a single card, it is not SLI.

SLI means two cards connected with an SLI bridge, not "two gpus" and also has nothing to do with how many displays you have. You can have SLI running a single display, you can have SLI running 6+ displays.

Not true, SLi is two or more GPU running in tandem, the GTX 690 is considered as SLi and requires SLi support in games for the 2nd GPU to be used. It is also considered by nvidia to be SLi. So whereas you could have 4x 680s in SLi you cannot have 4x 690s

690 = two 680 cores running with a chip connecting them.

DrScrambles69

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013

But then how on earth is the second GPU being used while playing Grand Theft Auto III? The game is 13 years old and surely doesn't support sli? I could be wrong of course...

What are you using to determine load? Also just using surround puts some load on the 2nd gpu as it has to process the other display(s)

Do you have a newer game that doesn't support SLi that might stress the system harder than GTA 3? I'd put running a youtube video on another monitor is more demanding than GTA 3 tbh.

Edit: also you quoted the wrong guy somehow.

DrScrambles69

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
I'm using RealTemp. It shows that if I set the nVidia control panel to 'Maximize 3D performance' or 'Activate or displays', only one GPU gets hot while running GTA3. But if I set to 'Span displays with surround' and play GTA3 across the 3 screens, both GPU's are getting hot.

I should mention I'm only using GTA3 as an EXAMPLE because it's the oldest game I have that can run in surround mode and I'm 99% certain it wouldn't support sli. It's the original version of the game purchased on CD back in 2001/02. Running GTA3 in 8080x1440 with AA and AF forced on, stresses the card enough to register a small heat increase.

I don't want to get carried away with GTA3 lol, I'm really just interested to know if running in surround mode with a multiGPU is utilizing sli, and is therefore going to include some of the occasional drawbacks (e.g. bugs) that can come with sli.

Yeah, I've noticed all games heat up both GPU's, usually equally, whenever running in surround.

It's a fairly trivial issue, I'm really just asking out of curiosity.

Like as been said, 690's are multi-GPU cards. While they may not always be referred to as being SLI cards, when you put two together, it is called Quad-SLI, and even as a single card, they require SLI profiles and everything any other SLI setup needs.

As to the heating up of the 2nd GPU in surround, but not on a single monitor, that is most likely due to it being bottlenecked, or just not needing the power of the 2nd GPU on a single monitor. Once you triple the resolution, the GPU's need to work much harder allowing them to heat up more.

For the record, while gaming across multiple displays, each GPU handles a single image, the size of all 3 monitors put together. The two GPU's do not split the load by having the GPU's work on a single frame together. GPU 1 works on 1 frame, while the other works on another. This is known as AFR or alternate frame rendering. There was a time that other methods were used, but not any more.

The only time I know of, in which two separate GPU's may work on a single frame is with 3D Vision and maybe HD3D, where 1 GPU may work on the left eye image, and the other can work on the right eye image. This is only because a single frame is two separate images, rendered from a different perspective.

Another Note: A 4Gb 690 behaves as if it has 2Gb of VRAM. That is because each GPU only gets 2GB's to work with and much load all the same information to render its own image as the 2nd GPU.

Solution

DrScrambles69

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013

I see, and this only happens gaming across multiple displays right?

So is it correct to say that if I'm playing on just a single monitor the two GPUs are behaving like ordinary sli, but in surround/eyefinity mode, the GPUs are using AFR?

They always use AFR, no matter how many displays you are using. Surround/Eyefinity just treats all your displays as a single canvas as far as rendering is concerned, as if you had 1 display. So with 1 display, nothing changes, except that the GPU has a smaller area to render.