Using Integrated Graphics for Encoding Only, with Monitor Output Disabled

wthopkins

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014
I would like to use the integrated graphics controller on an intel system for dedicated video encoding only (with the monitor output disabled). However, whenever the Integrated graphics are enabled, it will always show up as a monitor in the OS. Is there a way to permanently disable the monitor output of the integrated graphics controller show it will never show up as a monitor option in Windows 7 SP1, but is itself still enabled for video encoding?

Solution
You should not have a monitor visible at all if there is nothing attached to the outputs of the card. Is this a laptop? Why is the monitor called MobilePC?

What computer brand and model is this?

You said there is a video card installed already?

I don't even think what you are trying to do will accomplish anything, the HD video in the chip is IN the CPU, it's not a separate processor that can get the encoding tasks offloaded. I have not been able to find any info about specifically telling a video encoder software to use the onboard video to speed things up.
You need some way to display what you are doing, even if using remote desktop. Thus a "monitor" output is needed, even if it is virtual. There is no way to dissable this "monitor output". For what you are wanting to do, its the equivalent of removing 5lbs of weight to try to make your car go faster. Integrated graphics was never ment t encode and the only thing you can really do to help it is to assign more memory in bios.

Why does it matter if it shows up? If it's enabled, it will show up as a device option, you can't just turn off the video output on it. Plus how are you going to have the intergrated graphics setup separately from the CPU for encoding video?

Did you already check into what you are trying to do?

This is not like using an add-on card to do the processing.

wthopkins

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014
I'm using a GPU to display three external display port monitors, so I can see what I am doing.

With the integrated graphics device enabled, when I boot into windows it shows up as a monitor MobilePC. I can get hardware encoding enabled on if MobilePC is set as a secondary monitor with a fixed resolution of 800x600(it cannot be changed, grey'd out option). This isn't ideal because our end-user can "lose the mouse" onto the other screen while running our application (because the displays are extended). If the display is not extended to MobilePC, hardware encoding is not enabled.

The tool I am are using to see if HW encoding is enabled is System Analyzer (mediasdk_system_analyzer_64.exe), which comes in the Tools of Intel Media SDK R2 for Clients.

wthopkins

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014
Sounds like it may be a driver change if I want to use the HD 4600 Graphics to perform hardware encoding of video (which requires that the IGD is enable, but not actively displaying on a monitor even if it is entirely "virtual")

You should not have a monitor visible at all if there is nothing attached to the outputs of the card. Is this a laptop? Why is the monitor called MobilePC?

What computer brand and model is this?

You said there is a video card installed already?

I don't even think what you are trying to do will accomplish anything, the HD video in the chip is IN the CPU, it's not a separate processor that can get the encoding tasks offloaded. I have not been able to find any info about specifically telling a video encoder software to use the onboard video to speed things up.

Solution