Upgraded GPU, now can't increase monitor resolution

jkim54

Reputable
Oct 25, 2014
I recently upgraded my graphics card from a radeon 4550 to a Radeon R7 250 2GB, but cannot seem to figure out why I am unable to raise my monitor resolution above 1280x800. I have a HP zr30w 30inch monitor and have had no problems running 2560x1600 resolution on my old card, but my new card does not detect possible resolutions above 1280x800.

I can provide any other information that is needed but here is some other basic information so far:

-Old drivers were removed with display driver uninstaller and the latest drivers were downloaded/installed for the new card. Also tried installing drivers using installation CD.
-Monitor is connected to the card via dual link dvi (works fine at 2560x1600 when testing with old card)
-My PSU is strong enough to support the card
-I am running the gpu in a PCI-express 2.0 slot (I don't think it should matter that the card is fit for a 3.0 slot)
-Tried removing/reinstalling monitor drivers (didn't help)
-Computer detects GPU and Monitor correctly, but monitor resolution cannot be raised.

Any suggestions for what to try/change are much appreciated. I am getting so frustrated trying to figure out why this is happening and would love some help. Thanks.

Solution
Get all drivers on that board right, chipsets sometimes share roles with others and if one is off by a stupid generic driver they can all cause havoc and [strike]destruction[/strike] problems to advance features on child devices.
Are you trying to adjust from the DESKTOP?

I can't think of a reason why you'd have that problem. You seem to be setup properly.

I know you installed drivers, but that problem does sound exactly like it's using default drivers such as when you first install Windows.

Try googling for driver cleanup software maybe.

jkim54

Reputable
Oct 25, 2014
Thanks for the quick responses.

I was unable to change resolutions via the Catalyst Control Center as well as Desktop.

I'm not at my desktop right now, but I will try to correct my main board drivers when I get home. I found the download site to my motherboard here: http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=492#dl . Should I be downloading drivers for just the Chipset?

I didn't think of motherboard drivers to be the issue because I was having no problems with my old GPU, but this might fix things. I will post more once I try.

PCIBUSDRIVER

Reputable
Oct 22, 2014
Get all drivers on that board right, chipsets sometimes share roles with others and if one is off by a stupid generic driver they can all cause havoc and [strike]destruction[/strike] problems to advance features on child devices.

Solution