2-way HDMI splitter getting detected as 2 outputs instead of 1?

PrdiG

Reputable
Oct 25, 2014
Hello,

So I currently have a desktop with 3 monitors connected to it. My graphics card can only support a total of 3 monitors, but I also wanted to connect my projector to my rig.

I thought I had found a solution by using one of these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001D9P1OW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

My belief was that I could use this 2-way splitter to mirror just one of my monitors on the projector, and fool my graphics card into thinking I was only using 3 outputs, instead of 4.

However, even when I only have one device plugged into the 2-way splitter, my graphics card is still detecting it as 2 sources.

This means I can only have my original 3 monitor setup, with no splitter and no projector. Or if I use the splitter I can have 2 monitors and the projector (which is mirroring one of those 2 monitors)... but the third monitor must remain disabled.

Is there a work around for this?

Thanks in advance,
Lucas

PrdiG

Reputable
Oct 25, 2014
oops... Just solved that problem.

Solution: Originally I had my monitors plugged into 2 DVI and 1 mini DisplayPort. When I tried adding the HDMI splitter, I was trying to use 2 DVI and 1 HDMI, which wasn't working. Now I've solved the issue by using 1 DVI,1 mini DisplayPort, and 1 HDMI and it's now working.