Brand new built PC, Sims 3 is unplayable!

magepker

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
Hey everyone, just built this pc 3 days ago:

Mobo: MSI z97 Gaming 5
GPU: Evga SC GTX-970 (newest drivers installed)
CPU: i5-4690k
Ram: 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1333mhz
CPU Fan: Hyper 212 EVO

i lowered all of the ingame settings to the lowest possible and the game still lags, with the GTX 970 i assumed that i'd get 0 lag, but its worse than ever, any possible solutions?

Mouldread

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013
Hello,

are you sure you have plugged your monitor into the GTX 970? Maybe you've plugged it into the onboard GPU by mistake.

If you are sure your monitor is plugged in the correct GPU then the other thing I can think of is that maybe you haven't installed all your drivers.

Make sure you have installed all drivers for the motherboard - http://uk.msi.com/support/mb/Z97_GAMING_5.html#down-driver (you have to select your operating system from the drop down menu).

And also download and install latest nVidia drivers for your GPU - http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk (again select the correspeonding options from the drop down menus).

Mouldread

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013

That's great, at least we ruled those out.

How about other games, have you tried playing another game and how does it perform? If other games work well then I guess the problem could be easily pinpointed at the Sims 3 in particular. I think I have read something a while ago about Sims 3 misbehaving in Windows 8.1. What OS are you using?

magepker

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
I'd have to check with other games but i think it's just Sims 3, from everything i've read the game is poorly put together.

I have windows 7.

Mouldread

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013
Hey,

On my system with Windows 7 64 bit (you can see the specs if you mouse over my avatar) I had to actually use a FPS limiter because it was doing something like 800-900 FPS on the loading screen and about 300-400 FPS in game and was causing a horrible coil whine from my PSU so I think the game isn't suffering from under-performance. Mind you this is Sims 3 with no other expansions installed.

Your case is exactly the opposite though so something must be wrong. Try running another couple of games and see if they work well. Maybe there is some issue with the hardware.