Low FPS 30+ in Arma 3 on ultra settings with GTX 970

tmjohari

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
I only got 35 max fps on ultra for single player Arma 3
For multiplayer,it was really horrible.Barely touch 30 fps with ultra
I have done some google and most of them said that arma 3 has a bad engine,bad netcode and bad host hardware
Is it true?
I also get around 45+fps ultra setting on AC:Black Flag

Motherboard : Sabertooth 990FX
CPU : AMD FX-8120 4.1GHz
GPU : GTX 970 OC
PSU : 800 watt
RAM : 12GB

ilikerain

Reputable
Nov 11, 2014
the game is very cpu intensive and only use 4 cores if you set the parameters you need to look at this guide the game is very cpu intensive and only use 4 cores if you set the parameters you need to look at this guide http://day0.com.au/forum/arma/638-arma-3-performance-tweaks-and-settings-guide and change things. Consider switching to an intel cpu if you want to play arma with decent fps as graphics card doesn't really matter as much in the arma games but hyperthreading does.

Stephen Rebelo

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013

Your FPS will be limited by the server no matter what your settings are. If you do an offline mission, you can get great FPS on very high settings. Test for yourself.

LithiumFox

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
Your FPS when connected to a server is based on the FPS the server is able to get. If the server is getting 30FPS, you'll be getting less than 30fps. This appears to be a way to synchronize all of the data between players and server. A lot of servers do not optimize their network and their server for online play, as the servers require very specific settings per server gameplay style. One way I found to handle this is to lower the view distance to 2KM, as most people cannot hit a shot farther than 1km anyways, but offers enough room for you to see incoming vehicles.

But yeah, this is a server synchronization issue that stems from underperforming hardware, unoptimized missions, or lack of optimization in the ARMA 3 network configuration files. =/

:) I had a server with about 20 people that ran at a flawless 60FPS with about 200 AI so... it IS possible.

I run (2) GTX970's in SLI and it runs around 60FPS and dips often to as low as 40FPS. I play the Breaking Point mod exclusively. I was astonished by the FPS dipping on Ultra so I disabled a card and ran a single card to test. I get around 30FPS on Ultra with one card. My system is in the sign. So you are right on target, try running VERY HIGH or HIGH settings. You can also try setting the HIGH template and change a few detail to higher settings until you get to a good balance. I notice a lot of frame dropping when areas are more populated with players. It's very CPU intensive, but in general I think it's just poorly optimized.

LithiumFox

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015

It's not really poorly optimized, though. if you play in single player, this is noticeable. The multiplayer aspect is just highly limited due to the insane amount of calculations the server has to do, plus with 30-100 players, sending out the information, receiving it back, etc.

If you think DDOS's are bad, these servers are pretty much the definition of abused. Hell, i played on an island life server, which didn't offer AI, and I still managed to use about 1GB in data in about 30 minutes of playing.

There's just a lot happening that the ARMA 3 server synchronizes to the players. Optimization is also partly the server administrators fault, as ARMA 3 is built with the ability to configure the software to adapt to ever changing technology. A prime example of this is the use of a Headless client, which wasn't even officially supported but was infact created by players of ARMA 2 to allow the offloading of AI calculations to a secondary server, allowing the AI to react faster and increase the FPS of the server.

In all honesty, the fact that ARMA even runs in multiplayer is a miracle to me, when you have games like BF4 that can't even get basic things like invisible walls to not show up in their games....