Possible New Non-Gaming System for $700 or Less

heldmacm

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Hello,

At the very least, my GPU in my custom-built desktop is nearing the end, and I would like some suggestions on a replacement. However, this video card was bought along with the vast majority of my other hardware way back in 2008, so if it's advisable, I'm not opposed to building an entirely new system (which is why I'm posing this thread in this forum).

At the time I built this, I did some online gaming, but that's no longer the case, and I don't see that changing at least in the immediate future. As a result, I've been able to get by just fine with a six year old computer until I recently starting experiencing blue screens and various display issues. All the research I've done on the issues leads me to the GPU, and given its age, it's certainly not a surprise. It's an XFX nVidia GeForce 9800 GT, and I am running the latest drivers from nVidia. I suspect part, if not all, of the problem is the temperature of the GPU; per the CPUID HWMonitor software, it regularly reaches temperatures in the mid 80s (C), and that seems way too hot to me when I'm just browsing the web. Since I don't play any games, the GPU is not overclocked (nor are any other components). I've tried cleaning out the inside of the case, as it was pretty dusty, but this has had minimal effect on the temperature and other issues I believe are tied to the GPU.

Anyway, below are my existing specs; as I mentioned, these were bought in 2008 and have served me well, so please, no snickering :)

-Apevia X-Cruiser ATX Mid Tower Case
-Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 Motherboard
-Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00GHz CPU
-Tagan TG480-U01 PSU
-4 GB 240-Pin DDR2 1066 SDRAM
-Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0GB/s HD (I'm sure the capacity is considered tiny these days, but I'm not even close to filling it, and I have an external HD for backups)
-XFX GeForece 9800 GT 512 MB DDR3 GPU
-I run Windows 7 64 bit and have no desire to change

The issue I see with simply replacing the GPU is my motherboard only has a slot that's PCI-e 1.1 x16, and if I buy a new GPU, I want to ensure it would work in a PCI-e 3.0 slot in the event I have to use it in a new system. However, after doing some research, it appears this motherboard may be able to support a PCI-E 3.0 GPU (without the added benefits of 3.0 vs 1.1, of course). IF that is indeed the case, would you recommend simply replacing the GPU and seeing if that resolves the issues until I'm ready to replace everything else? What GPU would you recommend for someone with no desire to game, edit video, or anything else hardware-intensive but primarily uses a desktop for web browsing, email, and such?

If a modern GPU will not work with this motherboard, can any of my existing hardware be reused with other modern hardware (in a new system), or am I better off starting completely from scratch with all new hardware? If the latter, I'd like to keep the budget to $600 - $700. Within that price range, what hardware would you recommend?

Thank you very much in advance for your help, and please let me know if you have any questions. I have filled out the new system template below.

Approximate Purchase Date: the next two weeks

Budget Range: $700 maximum after rebates, shipping, etc.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (surfing the internet net ... ... ... ... ... gaming ... ... ... watching movies)

Are you buying a monitor: I'm not necessarily opposed to it if it fits within my budget, as my current monitor was bought probably eight years ago. I could go as high as $800 if I'm buying a new monitor.

Parts to Upgrade: see above

Do you need to buy OS: Unfortunately, I BELIEVE so, as my existing Windows 7 install was done from an OEM System Builder Pack, and I believe that's tied to my existing motherboard. I just installed this earlier this year, so it'd be unfortunate if I had to buy another copy after getting so little use out of this, but if I have to do so, so be it.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I've traditionally bought from newegg.com, but I'm open to other places if they offer a better deal on identical hardware.

Parts Preferences: none

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1280x1024

heldmacm

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Thank you for your suggestion - I will look in to that option. Anyone else? The above reply was made while I was still editing the post to add the required template information, so the original post wasn't entirely complete at that time.