Problems specifically with Powerline Adapter (Linksys PLEK500)

zearth

Reputable
Oct 27, 2014
I recently obtained a dell inspiron tower that is loaded with windows 7 ultimate and has just about nothing on the computer (practically a fresh install). I have plugged this computer into an ethernet plug that goes directly to my modem without an issue and the internet is flawless. However, when i move the computer to the intended room and plug it in through a powerline adapter, i get nothing. Please note the powerline adapter works just fine with another computer i have in the same room. I am also running the powerline adapter into a dlink 5 port ethernet switch, but am unable to get internet on the new computer with or without the switch. The other computer, however, connects through the switch or directly just fine.
My network map is
Internet >> Modem/Router combo >> another router (2 wireless networks)
>> powerline adapter to another room >> ethernet switch>>computer

Running the windows 7 diagnostic tool states the ip is not configured properly but both my ipv4 and ipv6 are set to be obtained automatically and no setting is changed between when i can get internet from the modem and cant from the adapter.

Please let me know if there is any more information required to solve this.

HyNrgy

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014
plug the plek into modem/router combo.

as far as router 2 you could have it plugged there but that is overkill especially if you are not running it as an access point or in bridged mode (wired or wireless depending on the routers capability)

but again, try pluging the plek into router 1

zearth

Reputable
Oct 27, 2014

Went ahead and moved over the plug to the main modem/router but there was no change on the non-working computer. The computer that did have internet lost the ability to connect to anything other than google based websites until i restarted.

HyNrgy

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014
have you verifified all updates, drivers and firmware are done?
As far as the homeplug, do the two need to be paired (some do) and is there any power issues connecting where they need to connect between them? Have you tried another device (i.e. laptop) that can use the plug to verify (and have you verified the cables from the plug to the router/plek