Will Asus Strix 970 SLI run Three Asus Vg248 144hz monitors?

CoronaBuzz

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
What's up guys, just wondering if my sli'd Asus strix 970's are capable of running three of the Asus 24" 144hz monitors with smooth gameplay? Would it be possible for them to run at the full 144hz? What kind of FPS? I've gotten this itch to game at 5760x1080 and it needs to be scratched!

I mainly play BF4 and shadows of mordor and crush them pretty good with just 1 Asus Vg248. Looking for some knowledgeable 3 monitor users to help me out here. Thanks

Solution
The cards are not impacted at all by driving a faster refresh rate, and won't give you better frames if you decrease to 120 Hz. The only thing that will be a real concern is that games at 100+ FPS look a lot better at 144 Hz than they do at 60 Hz, so if you aren't pushing 100 FPS, you aren't quite getting the full benefit of that refresh rate.

That being said, 60 FPS at 144 Hz *still* looks better than 60 FPS at 60 Hz to me (I've had a 60 Hz and I upgraded to the VG248QE that you mentioned) so I would still say it's good.

So, in short, to answer your questions, 144 Hz is fantastic, you should definitely use it. No, they don't take a hit, and no, the FPS would not improve at 120Hz.

CraigN

Distinguished
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_970_SLI/

It would run all three in SLI pretty well. That review has some good benchmarks on 5760x1080, including BF4 (though not Shadows of Mordor). You would be looking at probably 60fps average on most games, though you may have to sacrifice some settings like Anti-Aliasing to keep things smooth.

CoronaBuzz

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
Thank you sir for your response. Whats your take on the refresh rate? Do the cards take a bigger hit running the monitors at 144 hz? Would the fps improve if I run all three monitors at 120hz instead?

CraigN

Distinguished
The cards are not impacted at all by driving a faster refresh rate, and won't give you better frames if you decrease to 120 Hz. The only thing that will be a real concern is that games at 100+ FPS look a lot better at 144 Hz than they do at 60 Hz, so if you aren't pushing 100 FPS, you aren't quite getting the full benefit of that refresh rate.

That being said, 60 FPS at 144 Hz *still* looks better than 60 FPS at 60 Hz to me (I've had a 60 Hz and I upgraded to the VG248QE that you mentioned) so I would still say it's good.

So, in short, to answer your questions, 144 Hz is fantastic, you should definitely use it. No, they don't take a hit, and no, the FPS would not improve at 120Hz.

Solution