How much longer should one consider getting a build centered around a 4790k?

PistFump

Reputable
Oct 28, 2014
With Haswell-E out (as well as a new socket), until when should one be looking to consider getting a build centered around the 4790k?

My main concern is support for a 4790k build is the ease to replace parts should worse come to worse. Particularly, ddr3 memory since it will be phased out once x99 becomes more common.

I'll be building in december and don't want to shell out the extra upfront cost for a 5820k for more futureproofing (more expensive motherboard and RAM on top of the CPU) if a solid 4790k build will do just fine and will have readily replaceable options should the worst happen.

This build will be used 95% for music production (hence the need for a good processor) and 5% web browsing.

Thanks!

Haswell-E is NOT a replacement for Haswell, it is a replacement for Ivy Bridge-E, it is meant for servers and workstations and things that benefit from parallel performance more than single threaded performance, games do not benefit from large quantities of cores so the higher clock speed and the lower price point of the i7 4790k will make it the best choice for gaming builds until Broadwell comes out in 2015. If your programs actually benefit from the extra cores and saving time means making money faster then the x99 platform is worth it, but if your software doesn't scale well with additional threads the x99 platform will actually hinder you.

DDR3 will remain the primary memory for about 2 years yet, it won't be until Skylake comes out that consumer level processors will support DDR4 and it will take a while after that until DDR4 grabs enough market volume to drop in price signficantly.