Another Asus PB278Q, Dell U2713HM, Samsung S27A850D thread

rhino62

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
I know this has been discussed ad infinitum on this site, but I haven't seen a recent thread so I figured some may have some additional input now that these monitors have been in circulation longer. I'm looking for a 27" work monitor at 2560 x 1440 that I will be looking at all day long using Autocad, pdf files, web, etc.. My three considerations are the Samsung S27A850D (or I guess there is a new S27D850T), the Asus PB278Q, and the Dell U2713HM.
My concerns with each are:
Samsung seem to have an enormous amount of backlight bleed and Autocad uses a black screen, so this is a concern. That being said, I have always used Samsung monitors and TVs and loved them, but this model uses PWM for the back lighting and my old one does not.
The only problem I can find with the Asus is the concern over the PWM. If I keep the brightness in the 70-80% range, will this be noticeable? I have never used a monitor with the brightness below 75%.
With the Dell, I see many people have had cross-hatching or lines show up after a couple of years. And some say they can see the anti-glare coating, which would definitely bug me.
So anyone who has used these extensively and would like to give me more feedback, please feel free to offer your opinions. Lastly, is PWM flickering only relevant if you are below 50% brightness?
I will be running them off an AMD FirePro card via displayport so the resolution will not be a problem. Thanks in advance.

Brighttail

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014
Any of these monitors you will end up wanting to calibrate to your desired usage anyway. I like the Asus personally because of the three, it has the best brightness to start off and few other issues. You can always turn down brightness, turning it up can be more difficult. I currently have the brightness on my VG248QE to an astounding 24 and then i calibrated it from there. Looks awesome.