Opinions on home server build...

gerr

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2008
I am building a home server for the following uses:

#1 Media streaming via a DLNA server.
#2 System backup of all Windows based PC's, and I do have a few.
#3 Data backup for all PC's, smart phones, tables, and a single Mac.

Server:

OS = Windows Home Server 2011. While I could have used Win7 or Win8.1, WHS 2011 had a couple features that I liked better for use on a home server. These included a built in client data & system backup feature as well as desktop alerts on a client PC.

CPU = i5 4690 - went with a true quad core CPU for the times I need to transcode on the fly, ie stream 1080p to a lower resolution on smartphones, tablets, laptops, and the Mac.

Heatsink = Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo with an upgraded fan to a Corsair Quiet SP120. This just helps keep the CPU cooler and quieter.

Motherboard = ASRock Z97 Extreme4. Wanted a better mobo for more power phases and higher quality components, plus one with an Intel NIC, and the reviews on this one was very good.

Memory = 16GB(2x8GB) of Corsair DDR3 @ 1600. I know WHS will only be able to use 8GB of this, but this allows me to upgrade to a better server OS or virtualize at a later time. Plus since I am only using 2 sticks for this, so I could upgrade to 32GB at a later time without having to replace my existing memory.

Videocard = just using the build in video adapter on the i5.

Storage:
OS = 120GB SSD
Client Backups = 3TB WD Green
Media = 6TB(2x3TB) HSGT NAS drives in a Raid-0 stripped set. Went with faster NAS drives here as these are the drives that will steam my media.

Server Backups:
OS = 512GB laptop drive in a hot swappable bay.
Client Backups = external 3TB USB3 drive.
Media = external 6TB(2x3TB WD Red drives in JBOD) USB3 enclosure.

Optical = ASUS DVD/CR Writer

PSU = Rosewill Capstone 550W Gold PSU.

Case = Fractal Design Define R4 case. Bought a 3rd fan for 2 input and 1 out fans for a positive pressure case. I read reviews that this is a good server case as it's very quiet and has lots of storage slots, plus has a built in fan control switch.

Thoughts?

gerr

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2008
Reason I went with a Z97 mobo instead of a H97 mobo is though I am not overclocking, I would like the more stable power the Z97 mobo's provide due to the more power phases they offer and upgraded components. Would an H97 mobo work, sure, but for longevity & stability, I went with the Z97 instead.

Also, H97 mobo's only offer the stock 6 SATA ports, where some Z97 include add-on chips for additional SATA slots, as does the one I got. The mobo I got also has a nice feature to where I can shut down power to 1-2 SATA devices that are rarely used. On a Server, that would be to the DVD drive. You just don't find these extra features on H97 mobo's.

Nuckles_56

Admirable
Fair enough then, though if you really were wanting lots of SATA ports, then an x99 motherboard is the way to go as they will have 10 ports minimum and then 1 has 18 ports

gerr

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2008
The x99's were way too expensive, plus only needed a couple extra. Going from $80 to $140 was a stretch, but going to over $200 was out of reach.