Should I take the offer of Free overclocking from XOTICPC? ROG G20

DreamingRay

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g20ajus009s-p-7684.html?wconfigure=yes
This is the website

Like the title said, should I take the offer?

I've never done overclocking before, but I heard that overclocking anything will shorten the life span of your GPU. Is it worth doing it?

Also I'm planning on getting the "NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 970 (4GB) GDDR5 (New - Maxwell Architecture) EVGA SuperClocked Edition w/ ACX Cooling"

Apprently you can Overclock a Superclocked GPU. (that's what Derek from XOTICPC said)

Thank You

Overclocking will only significantly impact on lifespan if your cranking voltages or running at high temperatures, and if their doing it proper then both will stay reasonable.

"Superclocked" is just EVGA's marketing department talking, all it means is that it comes clocked higher from the factory than Nvidia reference specs says that card should. No reason (other than voltage, temperature and acoustic limits) it cant go higher.
Often factory overclocks are pretty conservative, I bought a reference clocked Sapphire 7870 around launch, clocked it a good 150Mhz or so higher than the overclocked version they released.

DreamingRay

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013

so. Do you think I should overclock my GPU? I kinda want my GPU to last long, since it's GTX970 (I don't think I'm going to upgrade my GPU for a while)

Also, is overclocking CPU worth it? On this page it says it can overclock to 4.0 -> 4.4 GHz

I'm too scared to overclock anything from the fear of that it will shorten the life span

If they actually gave clock speeds then I could judge whether it would have a significant impact on lifespan. I'm inclined to think they will be conservative in their clocks, but I dont know.

Their charging $50 to overclock to 4.4Ghz?!
Literally all you have to do to achieve that overclock is change the CPU multiplier from 40 to 44, any K series chip can achieve that conservative an overclock. My advice, do it yourself.
Actually, since they dont give you the option to throw beefier cooling on that CPU, dont overclock the CPU at all.

If your this cagey about overclocking, just dont get it, and if you want you can look more into it later and do it yourself.

I totally agree!

DreamingRay

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013

Alright. I won't do any overclocking for now. If I need it. I'll do it myself later. Thank you for your reply