2GB VRAM not enough for games of today

Do you think 2gGB Vram is enough for 1080P modern games?

• Yes

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

-Accelerator-

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014
I have tested a 1680x1050 monitor on multiple computers with a gpu vram of 4gb on 720p, to my surprise I found out that Windows 8 kinda uses about 300mb of vram on idle which is very consuming for the average mid-range computer.

I always see people on forums saying "1gb vram is more than enough for 1080P", even on 2014 threads

I played modded Skyrim on 720p, I got these statistics for vram usage:
Average usage 1.6gb
Highest usage 2.7gb

I know this is just me, but would anyone with a 2gb vram or higher gpu be able to check vram usage on modern or modded games.

Just results are nice :)

cowboydude99

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
People have been playing Skyrim and Shadow of Mordor using 2GB of VRAM.

Shadow of Mordor is a new game that the system requirements ask for 6GB of VRAM. There are numerous reports of this game running just fine with 2GB VRAM.

I think you'll be just fine for a few years.

zaysk

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Modded Skyrim you say? Yeah, 2GB is probably not gonna cut it if you have multiple texture packs installed + Vurts Skyrim Flora Overhaul, which eats VRAM for breakfast. Just be careful with how many texture packs you use and you shouldn't have to much problems, because even at 720p the texture packs will eat up VRAM insanely quickly. The high res DLC will run fine though. I'm not sure if you play any of the Fallout games, but if you do, go nuts with texture packs as that game rarely ever uses over 2GB's of VRAM even with all the big texture packs I could find on the Nexus. The only time it does is if there are a lot of NPC's crowded into one area, but even then it only uses around 22-2300 MBs of VRAM.

Source? I have a 2GB GTX 770 that I used until my 970 arrived, and I originally thought that I didn't have to many texture packs and that my GPU was fine with the ones I was using, but nope, as soon as I put in the 970 and fired up Skyrim, VRAM usage went straight up to 2900MBs as soon as I loaded my save and went over 3500MBs after walking around for a bit. I was getting random crashes in Skyrim while using my 770 and they went away completely after getting the 970, so I can only assume that my VRAM was bottlenecking me quite severely in Skyrim.

Once again, just be careful with how many high res texture packs you mod into your game, if you don't use to many you shouldn't have the issues I had. My problem is I'm a hardcore nerd and I enjoy seeing how far I can push Bethesda's games with mods, my Skyrim looks absolutely insane now that I've optimized my mod load order for my 970. With all my mods and ENB configured for maximum quality, even my 970 drops into low 40's-high 30's in FPS. :p

My Fallout:New Vegas install looks about as good, if not a bit better, than vanilla Skyrim running at max graphical settings, which is insane considering the Fallout games are downright hideous without any mods to improve the graphics.

The answer to the question in your poll is tricky. If you don't mind turning down texture quality in some games then yes 2GB is enough for 1080p gaming. But if you're like me and get disgusted at the thought of turning down *any* graphics settings, then no 2GB isn't enough for modern games. It also depends on how much you like to mod your Bethesda games (Who doesn't love Bethesda games? <3), Skyrim and Fallout were pretty much my main reasons for getting a 4GB 970, considering my 770 was easily able to max out any game I played.

cowboydude99

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Any modded game is a bad example.

Also VRAM isn't the same as clock speed. You should be more concerned about clock speed.

New game- The Evil Within:
On the other hand, those with GPUs equivalent to GTX670 or GTX680 that pack 2GB of VRAM won’t encounter any VRAM issues, and will enjoy a better gaming experience than the one found on current-gen consoles (both the PS4 and the Xbox One versions have severe framerate drops).
Source: http://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-analyses/the-evil-within-pc-performance-analysis/

Lords of the Fallen:
Minimum Requirements - GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560Ti

It really depends on the game and the settings you want.

You don't need a GTX 970 for the next 2 years of gaming at 1080p. 2GB VRAM will be fine- obviously not at max settings.

zaysk

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013

He asked specifically about modded games though.

Meh I'm tired of arguing with people on this site over VRAM. Not gonna do it.

cowboydude99

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013

Hey - nothing to argue over.
The poll question doesn't mention mods or not.

He says he plays modded skyrim on 720p.

Here was my personal experience with Skyrim.
3GB - 7970 OC = with tons of mods & Sharpshooter's ENB
I would hit around 50fps and drop to 25 and stutter a lot!

Swapped out for a 970.
4GB GPU = same mods same ENB.
I would hit around the same performance. Mostly closer to 60fps.
Swapped out Sharpshooter's ENB and installed another- much smoother gameplay, FPS are more consistent. No more drastic drops.

This is why I say modded games aren't a good way to test.

Latest posts