~ Does a Dual GPU Single Card Still Cause Microstutter? (And a quick monitor resolution question)

wowdextra

Reputable
Nov 1, 2014
I was wondering if a dual gpu on a single graphics card would still cause microstuttering. I know when you do SLI and Crossfire it does, but what about if it's just on a single card? Since they're on the same exact card, shouldnt they be working at exactly the same time one creating the top half and the other the bottom half being better at it vs having two exact cards but each in a different slot?

Also, while im here, i have another question: Which one of these would be better at preventing microstuttering? What problems may / would arise from doing either of these setups?

- Having 3 identical single GPU cards in SLI / Crossfire
- Having 2 identical DUAL GPU cards in SLI / Crossfire
- Having 3 identical DUAL GPU cards in SLI / Crossfire

I've always liked having just one very powerful single GPU card so i never have to deal with microstuttering or games that only like having one GPU running it, but I'm planning on buying an ultra wide 21:9 monitor for my gaming rig that I'm working on building at this very moment. That's why I'm thinking I'll most likely need to have more than just one GPU if i wanted to play the games out now and in the future without having to drop all the settings to minimum in order to maintain high FPS.

Which brings me to another question (hahaha) - I know that upping the resolution makes your graphics card(s) work harder, but would having the same exact resolution put the same exact stress on your GPU if you were to go to a bigger screen? If it does, is it only a little bit? ATM, there are 29" and 34" ultrawide monitors with these resolutions below that I'm looking at possibly buying, but Im curious as to how much stress they'll put on my GPU(s).

- 2560 x 1080 (29" & 34" version) vs
- 2560 x 1440 (29" & 34" version) vs
- 3440 x 1440 (29" & 34" version)

I know jumping from the 2560 x 1080 to the 2560 x 1440 will put a lot more stress, but what about jumping from the 2560 x 1440 to the 3440 x 1440 version? Would it only be a little bit more stress or a lot more?

Thanks everyone in advance for answering any or all of my questions.

Solution
The general rule of thumb about microstutter is that the less hands that you have in the pot, so to speak, the better. Your first scenario consists of three single GPU cards. The second one uses two dual GPU cards, so that means four GPU's involved. The last Scenario involves 3 dual GPU cards, and that would involve 6 GPU's. The first scenario would thus lead to the least amount of microstutter possibilities. Dual GPU's suffer nearly the same amount of microstutter as two single cards would.

Higher resolutions put more stress on a graphics card than screen size does. Although, Everyone wants the most for their money, so most people want the maximum resolution that their monitor can provide, otherwise they wouldn't be buying one capable...

TStahler

Distinguished
The general rule of thumb about microstutter is that the less hands that you have in the pot, so to speak, the better. Your first scenario consists of three single GPU cards. The second one uses two dual GPU cards, so that means four GPU's involved. The last Scenario involves 3 dual GPU cards, and that would involve 6 GPU's. The first scenario would thus lead to the least amount of microstutter possibilities. Dual GPU's suffer nearly the same amount of microstutter as two single cards would.

Higher resolutions put more stress on a graphics card than screen size does. Although, Everyone wants the most for their money, so most people want the maximum resolution that their monitor can provide, otherwise they wouldn't be buying one capable of so much.

One factor that can not be combined by as much crossfire or SLI that you want is vRAM, it always defaults to the lowest vRAM card and doesn't accrue. If you play at higher resolutions, You will need more vRAM. Especially if you want high frames per second. So, A card with only 1GB or 2GB's of vRAM might not be sufficient for higher resolutions.

If you really want to max out games, Run 2 970's in SLI. That would be more than sufficient.

Solution