• SSD + SSHD (Hybrid Drive)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Single SSHD

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Artaekos

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
Right now my PC has a 180 GB Intel 520 SSD (for OS and key applications), and an old 500 GB Western Digital Caviar Black HDD from 2009.

I am constantly having to delete files to free up space on them. Given the recent and steep price drop of hard drives in general, I think it's about time I overhaul my computer's storage configuration.

What I'm thinking is a 512 GB Crucial MX100 for my OS and main applications (I'm a 3D Modeler so I use a lot of programs like Photoshop, Maya, Zbrush etc), coupled with a 2 TB SSHD/Hybrid Drive (the seagate one for example). What does everyone think about that setup? I'm just wondering how having a hybrid hard drive for the bulk of my backup storage for music, movies etc will work in conjunction with a SSD as my main drive. I don't think it's a common storage setup but that it could work nicely...

Hi - Actually, what you suggest has become pretty common these days, an SSD for OS & apps, and a
spin type hdd for storing files, etc. You don't really need a hybrid drive, but if it's priced right, then it wouldn't
do any harm. Just investigate the enterprise quality hdd's also from Seagate & WD.

The other thing I would consider is getting an additional hdd (500g) to back up/clone your ssd.