Intel G3258 vs Athlon II x4 630,worth upgrading???

st3v30

Admirable
I want to upgrade from Athlon II x4 630(atm at 3.2 Ghz from stock 2.8) and crap mobo MSI 770-C45 to Intel G3258 and Asus Z87-A,GPU I use is Sapphire R7 260x OC 2gb with 4 GB ram 1333Mhz 2x2 Kit.Will I see huge improvement with this CPU(will OC it)?.Later when i get more €€ i will probably get i5 4th gen if price drops when Broadwell gets out.I'm really desperate what to do here.I'm doing right move or to stay on this crap build and get more money and buy all at once or go step by step and see how will it go.In my opinion i think G3258 even OC to 4-4.2 GHz will blow away this AMD I own and that I will see huge improvement.So please help me out here.I really appreciate any help you can provide.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
As long as you are planning on upgrading to an i5 in the future, any improvement you see over the older Athlon will be worth it. I presume you meant the Athlon II X4 630, since the new Athlons don't come in that designation.

st3v30

Admirable

Oh sorry my bad will correct that.Thanks.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Here is a comparison to your AthII at 3.2GHZ to the G3258 at stock speed: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-G3258-vs-AMD-Athlon-II-X4-650
As you can see the G3258 outperforms it even before OC'ing it.

st3v30

Admirable

So it will be huge upgrade with OC.

mlga91

Admirable
Both of those processors perform very close in gaming, so, i wouldnt call it a significant or worthy upgrade, because rou're more gpu limited, a better gpu will get you better results, you can get a r9 280/280x right now, it will be slightly bottlenecked, and get later a i5.