HTPC Build Help

Which CPU Should I go with?

• Total voters

stylinred

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
Hi guys I had ventured into a HTPC build about a year ago, unfortunately when I rebooted the computer after installing updates the computer simply shut off and wouldnt turn on again, being extremely busy and absentminded I left the HTPC aside and didn't bother getting it looked at /repaired until very recently.

It turns out only the motherboard is dead, it's still under warranty, but that's going to take a long time to deal with and may not have a positive result

So I figured I may as well upgrade

Unfortunately my old unit is running on LGA 1155 socket and motherboard options are minimal in that regard, at least locally.

So I'm looking at going to the LGA 1150 socket route which means new motherboard and new cpu! unfortunately I don't know which cpu to get and if i would be going overboard with my choice so hopefully you guys can offer a guiding hand here

My purpose:

To stream to multiple TV's, typically 2 at the same time but up to 4 TV's
The unit will be running my full blu-rays (ripped to hd) or playing the latest disc that i've yet to convert so if streaming to more than 1 tv i don't want any lag from dealing with these files (especially to my home theatre)
Lossless audio bitstreaming to my home theatre will be a must, the other tv's don't need it.
very little gaming if any but when there is gaming it will be the latest shooters like BF4 (doesn't need to be max settings, just be able to play)

These are my salvaged components:

Fractal Design Node 605 - Case
Corsair 650W Gold - PSU
Radeon HD 7870 - video card
Kingston HyperX Blu Black 8GB 2x4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - Memory
Kingston HyperX 120gb - SSD
Seagate Barracuda 4TB - HDD x4
Noctua NH-U9B SE2 - Heatsink
Cougar Vortex 120mm - Fans x 4
Panasonic BD - blu-ray player
Syba 2ch Sata II controller - (unneeded with the new MB i'm planning on)

This is what i'm looking at adding:

Asus Maximum VI Gene mATX - Motherboard
i5 4590 or Xeon E3-1230 V3 - CPU's

I'm thinking the i5 will be more than enough but i'm wondering if the Xeon will be more ideal? given the htpc will always be on and streaming to multiple tvs? does the extra cache and server features improve the htpc capability? I'll also be upgrading to a 4K set in the future and hoping this HTPC won't need upgrading so will that affect the decision of CPU's?

Thanks guys all recommendations will be greatly appreciated!