Mystery dot in my Taskbar!

Sam Angeles

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
I'm running XP and in the taskbar BEHIND the clock (in the lower right) is a one-pixel grey dot!

I clicked "Toolbar Properties" and removed the clock so I could have a closer look.

It is a one-pixel grey dot, and I want to get rid of it!

I'm assuming that instead of a full-sized icon (like all my other applications in the taskbar (or "system tray" as some call it), the Application's Developer chose to make it a one-pixel gray dot to make it "inconspicuous," which is what concerns me!

Question(s):
1.) How do I find out what the icon is for?
2.) Is there a "scientific" way to find a "list" somewhere of all of the shortcuts are in my taskbar (so I can browse the list and locate the Mystery Application). Maybe there's some list somewhere in my registry of what applications are in the task bar. Maybe not, I don't know.

Of course, my first reaction was to try Clicking on it -- but nothing happens. The dot is too small. I spent an hour trying to position my mouse cursor on the dot, but could not click on it.

What is this grey dot in my taskbar system tray?

Thank you!

popatim

Titan
Rt click the task bar and make sure its not locked.
Next left click in a blank section of the taskbar and hold the left button in. Now drag the taskbar to the top of the screen

If the grey pixel remained behind its not some stealth task, its a dead pixel on your monitor.

Sam Angeles

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
Hi, no, it is not a dead pixel. Here's a photo of it: http://postimg.org/image/vpe18giux/
The gray dot is actually 2px by 2px with a highlight and a shadow.

Set the taskbar to autohide, does that small icon thing also go away when the bar does? If not, it's a bad pixel.

I it does, you can check all the running processes in task manager and see if anything looks out of place, also check the installed programs, sort by date and see if anything was installed about the time this thing appeared.

TRENDING THREADS