How many monitors on a single GTX 970?

darktransition

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012
Hi guys I am planning a new gaming build which includes a GTX 970, specifically the EVGA GTX 970 FTW AC 2.0.

Initially I was going to get the Asus PB278Q as a 2560x1440 monitor, however after browsing the forums and interwebs I started leaning towards a Qnix qx2710 as it cost AUD$200 less (AUD$400 compared to AUD$600) and able to be overclocked to 100hz and possibly even 120hz.

The issue/question I have now is I want a 2nd monitor to watch videos and twitch streams. Will a single 970 sufficiently have enough power/juice/oomph to run a 2560x1440 @ 120hz and a 1980x1080 @ 60hz or even another 2560x1440 @60hz?

Solution
Even modern onboard graphics cards will drive 3 displays at high resolutions. Having additional displays connected while gaming on a single displays makes no tangible difference to performance whatsoever.

If you want to game across multiple monitors (Nvidia calls it "surround" AMD call it "eyefinity"), that's a totally different story. But as long as you're talking about gaming on one monitor with one (or two or even three) extra monitors connected displaying desktop/webpages, etc. That's no issue at all.
You can have up to one monitor for each port on the 970.

But 1440p will run at 1/2 the fps that 1080p will

2 x 1440p will run at 1/4 the fps of 1080p eg instead of getting 80fps, you'll get 20 fps.

You should try and keep your fps above 30 at least. Else the picture looks crappy.

Even modern onboard graphics cards will drive 3 displays at high resolutions. Having additional displays connected while gaming on a single displays makes no tangible difference to performance whatsoever.

If you want to game across multiple monitors (Nvidia calls it "surround" AMD call it "eyefinity"), that's a totally different story. But as long as you're talking about gaming on one monitor with one (or two or even three) extra monitors connected displaying desktop/webpages, etc. That's no issue at all.

Solution