Black Friday and Cyber Monday, worth the wait?

Chemeng Lee

Reputable
Oct 31, 2014
I'm looking forward to building my own gaming rig. I just want to know if its actually worth waiting until those days just to purchase the components. I've never shopped online during those days before. Commenting the things you got on Black Friday day and Cyber Monday day, original price and deal price would be nice, thank you. :D

Solution
most vendors now (amazon/walmart and others are now running daily sales if you sign up your email info with them also the black friday ads and others are online on most black friday web pages. sometime if there a local micro center near you or if your lucky there combo deals from newegg and rebates. right now the costly parts are ddr-3 ram you used to fine a lot of rebates with them...looks like ram vendors are getting ready to slow down making ddr-3 ram and switch over to ddr-4 ram. when they did the ddr-2 to 3 switch both rams were costly for about a year or so. also with ram there been one company that went under and one ram plant that caught on fire over the past two years.

Warukyure

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014
Traditionally speaking on Black Friday/Cyber Monday, you'll see more deals on things like cases, hard drives, power supplies, and Mobo+CPU combos. There are sometimes a few video cards on sale, but its more of a clearance of old cards.

most vendors now (amazon/walmart and others are now running daily sales if you sign up your email info with them also the black friday ads and others are online on most black friday web pages. sometime if there a local micro center near you or if your lucky there combo deals from newegg and rebates. right now the costly parts are ddr-3 ram you used to fine a lot of rebates with them...looks like ram vendors are getting ready to slow down making ddr-3 ram and switch over to ddr-4 ram. when they did the ddr-2 to 3 switch both rams were costly for about a year or so. also with ram there been one company that went under and one ram plant that caught on fire over the past two years.

Solution
I wondered the same thing and last year ended up building up a system for a friend during Blackfriday/Cybermonday and yes the sales helped a lot.
RAM, SSDs, and PSUs had a pretty serious savings. The Intel CPU's I was looking at had an ok price break but no more than $20. Best thing would be to figure out your build now, and an alternate to parts (RAM choice 1 vs RAM choice 2) and then do the sales. Worst case, you dont get a sale price on the part you want. That is provided you can wait the few weeks to do it.

One thing I noticed on amazon last year was they didnt just have a normal sale, they had a rotating sale. Where somethings were only on sale for an hour or until items were bought up and they gave you a few hours notice on what was going up.

priyam1309

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011

Nice & useful info. Any idea about Newegg and how did they operate last year?