building new rig for gaming - feedback / suggestions please

sdklegend

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014
i7 4790k - (build-ed around this guy)
corsair H105
asus sabertooth mark 1 - (is mark 1 worth it over mark 2? sata express wise)
evga geforce gtx 970 superclocked 4gb acx
corsair vengeance pro 4x 8gb 2400mhz (32gb) - yea i know 16gb is more than enough. should i save with 16gb now, upgrade later?
evga supernova 850w 80+ gold (850w in case i decide to get another gtx 970 to show off)
crucial m500 2.5" 240gb
azza solano - blue (already owned) best electronic purchase since 2010
sound card - open minded except -asus xonar...

other thoughts: would the sabertooth or any z97 mobo fit 2 beastly gtx 970 and have room for a sound card?

Feb 14, 2014
Personally, i would start with 8gb of ram for you, unless you like programs like photoshop or video editting, then 16gb is better.

750w PSU is enough for a 970 SLI even with overclocked. They are very power efficient

the CPU is perhaps overkill, you might only need an i5-4690k unless you like CPU intensive things, or heavy multi tasking.

EDIT: the better question i should be askign is, - what are you looking to get out of your build? are you gaming only? video editting? streaming? what kind of monitor do you have? etc. it helps critique it a lot better

sdklegend

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014
thx, i will prob go for 750w psu and 16gb ram. i will re-evaluate my cpu choice.

i do run photoshop for work and had to download autocad one time. was a nightmare on my old comp.
i also do stream a lot of animes and movies on downtime and sometimes hdmi it to a big screen tv.

current monitor i plan to reuse as secondary is aoc 23" 5ms 60hz i believe
i will be buying a new primary monitor with 1ms and 120-144hz for my full screen games.

well in short i just like to have all my stuff run at highest settings with no problems.

Feb 14, 2014
You only need a quad core really i think, the 4790k is really good for this unless you're a hardcore video edittor. I use photoshop myself and with 16gb of ram and something like a 4790k i7 you'll be absolutely fine.

Going to a 4790k means you'll get to use a cheaper motherboard (Not worse, the real life benefit from going to a x79 or x99 system over a z97 is very little) such as the Maximus VII hero (that's my reccomendation).

Also with a h105 the overclock on the 4790k is pretty nice.

Don't buy a dedicated sound card, theres an excellent video from tek syndicate which debunks the need for a soundcard. you're essentially paying money for nothing. A better quality headset (and plugging it into the back of your computer, not the front) is always better unless you're looking for a ridiculously high quality audiophile experience, most of which ive seen audiophiles claim they can only hear after they've become very used to very expensive solutions, so don't stress over it.

Use the money you save to get a GTX 970 SLI right off the bat or just save that money. You can also buy a nice pair of headphones. I think a 970 will do the 120-144fps you want real nice at 1080p. Personally i also bought a 144hz 1ms monitor, but its 1440p so even my GTX 980 SLI struggles when i throw things like crysis 3 at it.

TL:DR - Don't buy a soundcard, use the money to buy better headphones, a soundcard can make your system sound worse even (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1rXcJuEsy0)
the 4790k over the 4970k is better for you unless you video edit on a regular basis, as less, more powerful cores are universally better for games (and will be for a long time) and saves you money.
Ram speed doesnt particularily matter unless you're a server. 1866 has the EXACT same performance as 2400 hz for example. So get DDR3 and 1866-2400hz area based on available prices and the looks of the ram, rather than numbers and speeds and such.

If you have any other questions don't be afraid to ask!

sdklegend

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014
good stuff. pretty much covered all the uncertainties i had. many thxs
umm just realize my typfo ..i acutally meant the 4790k X( .... gotta fix that