New monitor worth it or not? 60hz 120~$ monitors vs more expensive monitors

Jborg

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014
I have a Samsung 22" S22D300 1920x1080 res 60hz monitor. I don't know much about monitors. Was just curious if the monitor I have is limiting the graphics when they are maxed? Could it run smoother? Is it worth it for the money for an upgrade? I have watched some movies on the computer and they do look really good. I also do game. BF4, Crysis and such.

The graphics look nice and everything runs well... but I never looked into the monitor performance and such. - Also running the monitor on a HDMI cable (monitor has no speakers)

Any input is appreciated, thank you.

bob hays

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
HDMI vs other inputs won't make much of a difference if any at all. The monitor is only the limiting factor if your graphics card is being capped by vsync at 60hz. To check if its the limiting factor you can turn off vsync and use fraps to see the frames per second you are getting. If its a lot higher than 60 a higher refresh rate monitor would make the gameplay smoother.

An important note though is that at >60Hz the difference becomes less and less. It will still make a difference but the difference between 30 and 60 is not as large as the difference between 60 and 90.

shogunofharlom

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
A single 1080p monitor is WAYYYY overkill for a 970. The 970 can easily push a 144hz monitor in basically any game. 1440p monitors are a good deal now with the rise of 4k. Look at getting a 1440p IPS monitor with no more than 5ms response time. You can also buy two more similar 1080p monitors and do surround. They will run you around $250 total.

Jborg

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014
Just tried it out with VSYNC on, and it still sits up around 80-110 FPS, but its really weird because when I enabled it in BF4 the game started to like stutter every 10 seconds or so. I disabled it and it seemed go to away. But I have always had Vsync disabled to increase FPS in the past. And honestly for what it does I would rather have the FPS. The stutter could have been the map in the game.

So your saying if I am sitting above 60 FPS and mainly in the 85-110 range, a new monitor with a higher refresh rate would look noticeably better?

-Edit I dont really understand monitors lol

TRENDING THREADS