Need advice and technical feedback for Crossfire Setup @ 2560x1440 :(

Biggusdiccus

Reputable
Nov 5, 2014
I am wanting to make the upgrade from 1080p gaming to realistically widescreen mode (single monitor) at 1440p. I have been buying the components I figured would be acceptable step by step as money has become available. I got a QNIX 27" as an interim Monitor (which I intend to become a 2nd screen) when I started to notice issues with the fps ..which might have been going on all this time but the low fps lock on the old 1080p monitor may have hidden.

I currently have:
QNIX panel I've OC'd to 100mhz at 2560 x1440 + old 1080p monitor
i7 4770k cpu (not currently overclocked)
1x R9 290X reference card (not ideal I know)
1x R9 290X ASUS custom cooler card
16GB DDR ram
Samsung Evo 500GB ssd
MSI Xfire ready mobo I believe (will update when I get home)
Corsair 1000w gold sli/xfire ready psu
Windows 8.1

I "feel" something is wrong with the FPS for this setup is low I rarely top 45fps averaging around 30-35fps at the native resolution of the monitor, which concerns me as I was honestly expecting much more, and would mean even staying at that resolution and going widescreen would decrease performance even more.

As examples currently playing:
Alien Isolation (downscaled to 1920x1080 to get smooth/playable fps)
Shadow of Mordor (~30fps)
Total War: Rome 2 (which averages 35fps on the benchmark iirc)

Is this normal performance (Everything admittedly on ultra for example) for a Xfire PC @ 2560x1440? or could there be something wrong somewhere? This is my first dual GPU system btw.

Things I've tried so far:
Different drivers (latest gfx drivers and the beta drivers)
Checking for software running in the background/malware scans/etc
Making sure Xfire is on (heh)
Only using a single monitor to see if the 2nd one significantly affects performance.
Fresh windows install.
I am of course running items fullscreen.

Feel free to ask any questions, give instructions or anymore information and I will try be as forthcoming as possible thanks.

Biggusdiccus

Reputable
Nov 5, 2014
Update, did further testing last night.

When taking out the ASUS card my fps average at max settings jumps to 56fps... If I use the asus card individually or include it in the xfire setup (As either the primary or secondary card it stays at the original ~30fps.