Should I trade My laptop for a desktop ?

Kidus Eshetu

Reputable
Nov 5, 2014
I've been thinking about trading my Laptop with a custom built desktop with a guy, since i don't move around as much as i used to and i play a lot of games and use power demanding software for work and recreation purposes i need a good fast rig to rely on. im no noob when it comes to understanding and comparing pc's but i wanted a second opinion before trading my laptop with this desktop : Here Are the specs:

MSI GT70 laptop Specs:
(gtx 670MX 3gb ddr5, core i7-3630qm , 12gb ddrIII ram, 17.3" FHD,750GB HD, blue ray)

desktop specs:
(powercolor 290X 4GB, AMD FX 8320 4.5GHZ,AMD 16GB 1866mhz Ram 120GB SSD, motherbord(ASRock fatallty killer 990fx), EVGA 1000 Watt G, Coller Corsair 105)

Should I trade my laptop ? Please Give honest feedback.
Thanks,Kidus

No you shouldn't. Your laptop CPU is probably still faster than the FX 8320 even with the huge overclock. The only thing that would improve is your load times because of the SSD and your gaming performance because the GPU is much better, but anything else will run slower.

I will find some benchmarks to help support this after I post this message.

For the laptop, the best source of benchmarks is this:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i7-3630QM-Notebook-Processor.80051.0.html

For the FX 8320, I am using benchmarks from the FX 8350 instead to try and make up for the overclock a little. There are a few reviews with benchmarks but I went with Anandtech.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6396/the-vishera-review-amd-fx8350-fx8320-fx6300-and-fx4300-tested/4

So first comparing Cinebench 11.5 scores, looking at the anandtech test, we get a score of 1.1 for the desktop CPU. For the laptop we get 1.4. That means the laptop will be 27% faster in single threaded work. For multi threaded, the strong point of the desktop you get a score of 6.89 compared to the laptops 6.3. Which will make the desktop faster by 9% in these cases, but only when all 8 of the CPUs are completely used. If only 4 or less are used the laptop will again have better performance.

Kidus Eshetu

Reputable
Nov 5, 2014

Hey thanks for the reply on my thread and the info you provided about the performance of the CPU's and your opinion on the matter. Even though my laptop has a better cpu could you compare the other factors and give me a general consensus on if i should trade the laptop.

Thanks, Kidus

Well what programs will you run? That has an effect on what you will do. In terms of the RAM, SSD, HDD, Motherboads there isn't anything worth saying the performance is very close. In terms of power consumption, the desktop will consume several times more power and that will cost you in your electric bill a little bit by probably an extra $70 USD a year.

The GPU and CPU are the only parts of major comparison and as long as you aren't running tasks that will be heavily helped by the GPU then the laptop is best. The added RAM in the laptop may help a little in some cases in the laptop too but its not a major factor.

Kidus Eshetu

Reputable
Nov 5, 2014

I use software like blender and Maya for rendering,modeling, animating and i play games so will the performance in those aspects change that much ?