Graphics card is dead - force pc to use integrated graphics?

robbiewoods45

Reputable
Nov 7, 2014
Hi there, recently my AMD Radeon HD 7870 has been crashing, causing my sound to freeze and a pattern to come up on the screen. I tried reinstalling the drivers but that solved nothing. Yesterday, the driver crashed again ut when I restarted, my monitor said 'HDMI NO SIGNAL', leading me to believe that my graphics card is gone for good. Does anyone know how to fix the graphics card or alternatively force the PC to use integrated graphics, bearing in mind I can't see a thing on the monitor?

Solution
Okay slow down and stop worrying what you see on Windows PLEASE (third time I am saying this). We are working hardware, trying to see extended, BSOD, etc. is all software end we have NOT gottten to yet. And YES resetting CMOS (BIOS settings ) for no reason (oh did you have the power cable unplugged when you did that? If not then you potentially fragged up the BIOS too) in most terms is messing things. We need to work THROUGH the slow tedious step by step we are saying to focus on (check everything to BIOS first, tell us then move onto Windows).

You plugged back in your GPU, go to BIOS, switch to Ext Video not Onboard, switch the cable to the GPU, and can you see BIOS when you boot or not?
If you don't see BIOS does it show the...

amd4lif3

Admirable
BANNED
Oct 20, 2014
those patterns meant that your gpu was overheating these are actually called artifacts , furthermore the above comment is correct just take out the cable from your video card eg your HDMI and put it into the motherboard , if your motherboard has now hdmi try another type of cable eg dvi vga im sure your monitor should have more than just HDMI so yea you will need another cable either dvi or vga if there are both use dvi its a digital signal not like vga which has analogue

Okay step back a second with the "I can't see a thing on the monitor" approach, Windows is NOT the entire system.
So first, did you clean out and reseat the video card? Did you remove the video card and PLUG INTO THE ONBOARD video?
If in all these physical cases WHEN YOU FIRST POWER ON THE COMPUTER, you do NOT see BIOS (the words on the screen / maker logo before Windows boot screen) then your looking at MORE THEN the video card as the issue, potentially at that point (absolutely nothing on the monitor) your looking at the PSU, CPU, RAM, and / or Mobo DIED on you.

So let's establish what you CAN and CANT do to BIOS first, then move on from there.

robbiewoods45

Reputable
Nov 7, 2014

After taking he card out of the system, it goes into a reboot loop. Powering on, post beep, repeat.

yeah I think I did mention TAKING THE CARD OUT... so again, DO YOU SEE BIOS when it powers on or not THAT is the REAL test.. forget about seeing WINDOWS at this point, we are diagnosing hardware.

Then we have established the issue is NOT specific to the graphics card, BUT IS specific to the parts remaining (PSU, CPU, RAM and Mobo).
So as we don't know what parts are working or not, lets make sure
A) use another HDMI cable from onboard to Monitor
B) use another monitor / TV to see if the Monitor is faulty

Then comes the fun part... Get your Motherboard MANUAL and look up BEEP CODES.
Remove both RAM chips, press power, do you get the Beep code for problem with RAM? If NO then problem with Mobo or PSU
If Yes, put back just ONE RAM, Remove CPU, press power do you get the Beep Code for problem with CPU? If no then Mobo or PSU

At that point you will know how much of a problem you have (mobo or PSU) and would need to replace out at that point.
Now you can try a new PSU, but when you get down to these components you will need to consider maybe replacing out more, especially if the rest of the PC (RAM, CPU, MOBO, etc.) are OLD hardware that is will be end of life anyway (more then 3 years old).

So either it was the cables or monitor (you didn't state which worked first) that was bad. So put back IN your GPU and see if THAT works as well with this Cable AND monitor. AND STOP messing with the CMOS unless you keep putting back in OC settings. Let's just get this working 'basically' first.

robbiewoods45

Reputable
Nov 7, 2014
Got it working 'basically' using the integrated graphics in my CPU. When I try to extend my screen to use the GPU it blue screens.

Oh and I wasn't 'messing', I took the CMOS battery out for 10 minutes. Your definition of messing is wrong.

Okay slow down and stop worrying what you see on Windows PLEASE (third time I am saying this). We are working hardware, trying to see extended, BSOD, etc. is all software end we have NOT gottten to yet. And YES resetting CMOS (BIOS settings ) for no reason (oh did you have the power cable unplugged when you did that? If not then you potentially fragged up the BIOS too) in most terms is messing things. We need to work THROUGH the slow tedious step by step we are saying to focus on (check everything to BIOS first, tell us then move onto Windows).

You plugged back in your GPU, go to BIOS, switch to Ext Video not Onboard, switch the cable to the GPU, and can you see BIOS when you boot or not?
If you don't see BIOS does it show the Windows logo (happens with some secondary cards)?
Shut down, switch cable back to onboard, NOW do you see BIOS? Does BIOS show use Ext Video card? If yes, then the video card AS WELL as the cable/monitor died. Remove GPU and get new one. If it 'switched back' to ONBOARD, try again above steps make sure it is 'SET' and see if it does it again (reset the setting) if so, then your BIOS on the MOBO is screwy (need to reflash BIOS) or there is bad feedback from the GPU (remove GPU and get new one).

Once we got that settled (does GPU work and ONLY connected to GPU from HDMI to Monitor) we can then address Windows

Solution