How to interpret CPU and GPU usage

atmos929

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
So, I followed these instructions in order to monitor CPU and GPU usage:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1229915/how-to-cpu-and-gpu-usage-along-with-fps-in-game

I am testing a AMD 965BE and an ASUS GTX 970, I've been told my CPU would not be enough for the VCard, so I want to find out.

Question #1..
Is CPU bottleneck = CPU not enough to handle VCard? Would I expect here CPU cores usage around 100% and GPU usage of, let's say, 80%??

So I am guessing that CPU usage should always be less than 100%, even if GPU is 100%... then that means CPU can handle the GPU.

Did I get this right?

atmos929

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
so... according to the readings that I am getting... the 4 cpu cores are usually below the gpu usage... GPU gets to 98% frequently on certain heavy areas whereas CPU cores are around 60-70%... I've testing in Metro 2033, Tomb Raider and Skyrim. There hasn't been a single time where the CPU cores got to more than 90% with GPU below that.

And speaking of heavy areas, from time to time, I've seen that I get a decrease in FPS but CPU and GPU are around 60 or 70%... what else could be bottlenecking?... Let us keep in mind that my MoBo is PCIe 2.0... but I've been told here that perfomance decrease due to using a pcie 3 card on a pcie 2 would be minimal if any, something related with PCI bandwidth not being exceeded at the moment. I also use 6GB DDR2 800MHz RAM.

Yes, CPU is not bottlenecking, PCIe 2.0/3.0 doesm't make considerable change, that's true. Have you enabled any sort of power saving mode or such? Since GPU (if it not getting bottlenecked) should be on higher usage (like 90%+) in intensive titles. Also, 800Mhz sticks are on the slower side tbh.

atmos929

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
mm... I haven't set any power saving mode for GPU... well, I'm using default settings. Could it be caused by overheating?... GPU temp is usually around 65°C I think (can confirm later when I'm at home :)).

Regarding the RAM, the only alternative would be 1066 MHz... not sure if it would really make a big difference. I could try buying a couple of 4GB 1066MHz sticks, but only if I get a sweet deal... I don't really feel like investing in DDR2 :)