GTX 970 bios beep code and intermittent boot failure

Dali Llama

Reputable
Oct 27, 2014
Hey folks, I hope I've posted this on the correct topic board.

After I installed my GTX 970 on a X58A-UDR3 board, I began to get some short beeps during post. Listening closely revealed it to be two rapid (almost indistinguishable beeps) followed very closely by a third. I looked up the Award bios beep codes and didn't see this particular code listed. I updated my bios and tried changing various settings to no avail, and since my hardware appeared to be functioning correctly, I ignored it for the time being.

However, after a few days my PC now sometimes refuses to boot properly. When this happens the screen either does not switch on, or does so after post. When it's the latter, I see vertical lines running through any items of text and then finally it stalls just after the 'starting windows' screen. Other times during a successful boot, my monitor will sometimes briefly switch off and back on just before windows comes up.

Now here's the strangest part: I have a Panasonic TV as a second monitor connected via HDMI, and if I boot using only this I receive one healthy beep. I have tried my monitor (HP LP2475w) in both display port and DVI and without the Panasonic connected and I still receive the beep code.

I'm kinda stumped at this point. I guess one more thing to try would be to connect my monitor via HDMI to rule out the possibility that the fault lies there, however I have a very careful and calibrated monitor set-up that I would like not to disturb if possible, and I received no beep codes when it was connected to my old HD 5870 card.

Hoping someone can help with the bizarre issue. Thanks in advance.

Dali Llama

Reputable
Oct 27, 2014
Thanks for the reply Mokyu. I actually re-installed windows after I installed my card, but heard the beep code just prior to doing so and of course after. The latest drivers also came out this week, so in total that's three times I've re-installed the drivers. My GPU also benchmarks well and is playing most games fine (apart from a strange 59hz - 60hz jitter issue on some, but I hear that's an issue with Nvidia drivers reporting your screen as 59hz and windows as 60hz or something - I'll probably look into that later). I was happy to ignore the codes until the boot issue as, like I say, the card is performing well.

Mokyu

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
Then I hate to bring bad news, but that error code either means your monitor isn't functioning properly or there is a power struggle and I doubt that is the case as long as it functions just fine on a seperate monitor. Just another hope that it's the GPU though, try using the HDMI port like you did with your TV

Dali Llama

Reputable
Oct 27, 2014
Okay, I'll try the HDMI port in a little while and get back to you. The monitor seems fine otherwise, and I received no post beeps when it ran on my old card (they started the second I switched cards). What do you think it'll mean if it only beeps once with my monitor running through HDMI - faulty DP and DVI ports on my new GPU? The signal on both seems otherwise fine :??:

Mokyu

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013

I want to believe it's one of those rare issues with a new GPU, but the only reason I can think of why the GPU would be the issue since it works on the other screen is that the ports are ruined. If HDMI does work, double check your displayport/DVI cables and ports (both on GPU and the monitor) and see if you find the culprit, otherwise I'd RMA that card

Dali Llama

Reputable
Oct 27, 2014
So I hooked up my monitor via HDMI and got a healthy boot with no beep code! I don't have a spare display port cable, but I tried another DVI through the monitor, and although it booted fine, I got the triple beep at post again. So basically, all ports work once booted (I'm back on DP at the second) but HDMI is the only one that doesn't give me a beep code or any trouble booting.

That's not the strangest part though: something has looked off since I changed my graphics card and I've ran calibration software etc to no avail. The only way to describe it is that the deeper levels seem sort of hazy and the colours are generally thin. I came across some threads about a full RGB back for Nvidia cards (I switched from AMD) but that didn't fix the issue. This effect has been present on both monitors, but now for the first time since I got the card I had the correct colours just there, booting from HDMI on my monitor. That's bizarre considering my TV looked off in the same way when it was connected via HDMI, and the monitor has been off on both DP and DVI.

At this point I'd be happy except there's only one HDMI port on my GPU and my second monitor (TV) only accepts HDMI. This means switching cables when using the second screen.

I really don't know what to do as I've been lucky with this card (low temps, no coil whine etc) but this is a weird issue :??:

Thanks for all your help so far. I'll leave this thread open for a while in case anyone else can chime in, or in case I have anything else to add. I'll also look around to see if any other GTX 970 owners are reporting similar issues before closing.

Thanks for now :)

Mokyu

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
Happy to help :D

Be sure to test out different cables and see if you can narrow it down to faulty cables or ports. If not, then I guarantee an RMA will do some good

Hope I've helped~

Dali Llama

Reputable
Oct 27, 2014
Just an update. I've been running my card through HDMI, which is the only non problematic port for my bios, but unfortunately it's also giving me some issues. The first issue occurs at boot where sometimes the input is not automatically recognised and I have to manually select it from my monitor panel; the second is that when I shut down windows my monitor doesn't switch off - instead it tells me that it has lost a signal and to check my cables. I think I'm going to have to RMA, which is worrying since I think I got an otherwise good card considering the coil whine and fan issues I've heard reported elsewhere. I also don't have integrated graphics, so that will leave me without PC use for a while :(

Ps I bought my card from Scan as I heard they're a good company to deal with. If anyone has any experience dealing with them, can you let me know how they are with RMA's and what the timescale is likely to be?

Cheers

Dali Llama

Reputable
Oct 27, 2014
Sorry, I thought the forum was region specific. I'm in the uk here. I'll leave it open until I fire off an email to them & receive a reply, then if I'm RMA'ing (if that's a thing) I'll pick that as the best answer. Thanks again for your help :)