Adding the GPU to my new build leads to no signal to the monitor

BluSand

Reputable
Nov 8, 2014
I am putting together my first build and everything has gone smoothly so far.

Here are the components:
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/MjyqWZ
i5-3690k
asus z97-a
asus gtx770

I did a build first outside of the case on top of the motherboard case, as suggested, and everything worked; all the lights were on and the splash screen appeared on the monitor - all good. This was with the GTX770 inserted and powered on.

Everything was now inside the case, no hiccups (except that pesky I/O shield) and I got to the point of installing Windows 8.1 - at some point during the installation the screen goes black (Can't remember at what percentage installed) and no amount of restarts gets it to go back to the windows 8.1 installing screen. After freaking out and trying a few different things I take out the GTX770 and restart and I get signal back to the monitor and it lets me continue on with the set-up. Windows 8.1 is now installed fine and functions with the integrated graphics coming from somewhere (CPU I guess). I have tried now to install the GPU and start it up again but even with Windows loaded I get no display signal of any kind once that my GPU is plugged in. Yes it is seated (I have tried this at least 5 times), yes the power cables from the PSU are plugged in and all the fans spin and the LEDs light up.

Most importantly, I cannot get to the BIOS whilst the GPU is plugged in, and I can't download the NVidia drivers because the install wizard won't let me without being able to detect the hardware in the first place - impossible since I can't do anything with it plugged in. Extra info this is with HDMI cables.

I have tried setting the PCI-E to force running at 2.0 speed with no success. I have tried disabling the Intel integrated graphics in the Device Manager.

On an unrelated note (or maybe not?) the Asus website driver page for my z97-a is so confusing for a newcomer like me that I don't know which motherboard and bios and usb drivers I need. Please help me here....

What bugs me is that before I had begun to install Windows 8.1, the splash screen and BIOS could come up with the GTX770 inserted so if that's helps you to come up with any answers....

Please please help, I was building it for over 7 hours, nearly finished then ran into this problem which has been frustrating me for another 4 hours of exasperation

Alfrodo

Reputable
Oct 7, 2014
So the GTX 770 worked fine when the components were outside the case, but now that everything is inside, it won't work?

When the GTX 770 is installed but you use the integrated graphics video signal for display, can you see the GTX 770 in device manager?

BluSand

Reputable
Nov 8, 2014

I can't get to the device manager with the 770 installed because if it is installed I get no display of any kind. I can only operate my computer when I take it out of the PCI-E slot

Alfrodo

Reputable
Oct 7, 2014
Solution