Gaming rig in mini ITX case

Aikimaniac

Reputable
Nov 9, 2014
Hello folks,

i would like to buy this components to build new gaming rig (have now old C2D from 2007) which will serve me like 5+ years.. please evaluate my choices and if i chosen some crap, help me please to find better alternative. Im interested mostly in advices in direction of cooling of CPU. Here we go:

Case: Fractal Design mITX NODE 304 White
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4790K
Mainboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII IMPACT
GPU: Gigabyte GV-N970IXOC-4GD
RAM: HyperX Beast (T3) - 16GB Kit* (2x8GB) - DDR3 2400MHz Intel XMP
SSD: Intel 530 240GB
CPU Cooler: NOCTUA NH-L12
PSU: Seasonic X Series 850

Thanks for any input :)

P.S. Folks, can someone confirm or disprove this configururation? Im interested if this little box can handle cooling for this CPU normal and overclocked... thanks alot for your opinions..

Sorry no one else got back to you sooner, they probably just saw all the good parts, no real problem with them at first glance, and no budget you were trying to meet and just looked elsewhere.

For overclocking you're going to want to get a single fan closed loop water cooler in a mini-itx case, you don't have much room for "proper" airflow. So I went with one that was a similar price to your noctua.
The memory may have issues running at that speed, so i went with a slightly slower one that shouldn't have issues.
Your build will only use about 300Ws, so you don't need 850w, went with a smaller X series from seasonic.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII IMPACT Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($217.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston Predator 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($182.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 530 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card ($345.82 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 (White) Mini ITX Tower Case ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 660W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($116.66 @ Newegg)
Total: $1438.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-17 15:25 EST-0500

Aikimaniac

Reputable
Nov 9, 2014
Thanks a lot for reply..Im from EU and plan to buy it on local stores...prices are similar but with € as currency (20% VAT calculated already in).. im just curious about water cooling since i have 0 experience with it...its safe ? Ive read somewhere that Noctuas are the best for air and that those coolers are more silent than water coolers..not sure if thats true.... i have to check by Fractal Design if the lil case supports water cooling even with single fan solution by design..

On Gigabyte website is power requirement for the GPU 400 W...is the website you linked correct?

P.S. I can go with the cooler up to 100 USD so maybe this one is better ? http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-cpu-cooler-cw9060015ww

The case does support watercooling that's why I suggested it.

Noctua's are good at air cooling, but ITX cases have pretty limited airflow, so for high end parts like yours you're gonna want a water cooler.

It's easy to install, you just attach it to the rear exhaust fan port.

Gigabyte says you need a 400W PSU for the card, and that's a rough estimate they give, because AMD CPUs use about twice the power of intel ones, and they just have to suggest a PSU that will cover you no matter what.

That cooler is more expensive because it's somewhat newer, but otherwise they're the same roughly.

Aikimaniac

Reputable
Nov 9, 2014
James thanks alot. Once i get all parts ill start to build it and do some pics to share. Im about get NAS as well but not sure if 6 bay QNAP or in Node 304 case custom with FreeNAS running.. price is for 6 HDD system nearly same... will create new thread for it once im done with the gaming rig... Have a nice day

Aiki