Monitor screen turns random shade - Computer STAYS running

blackrabbit

Reputable
Nov 6, 2014
So I've put together a build featuring an MSI R9 270x, with entirely new components, but I've been frequently having this problen where my monitor turns to a random color, but the computer stays running (skype still going, etc). I'm thinking it's either the card is over heating due to not enough case fans, or it's not getting enough power (unlikely as I have a 500w psu which is the recommended amount for the card). Any insight is appreciated

BrandonYoung

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
If you are not gaming or running intense 3D programs, the card is most likely not overheating if the fans are operating correctly, that said, it may prove wise to monitor the GPU temperatures with something, your provided ATI software should be capable of doing this, if not, "MSI Afterburner" is popular.

I would think if it was the PSU not handling the system power demands, the computer would not stay running (Skype, as you say).

You could try to remove the side of the case and see if that helps. This could also be caused by a bad cable or connection from the GPU to the monitor. Perhaps even a faulty GPU.

I would begin by monitoring CPU and GPU temperatures.

blackrabbit

Reputable
Nov 6, 2014

It seemingly happens randomly and sometimes when I'm just browsing the internet so it's kinda hard to believe it would be an overheating issue.

BrandonYoung

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
If your fans and heatsinks are operating correctly that is. I had a videocard with a broken heatpipe, its idle temps would crash my system within minutes, and it wasn't until I monitored temps that I was able to figure out what was going on.

Have you tried another monitor/monitor cable? Or perhaps a different output on the GPU?

TRENDING THREADS