Gigabyte x99 motherboard BIOS/UEFI update questions

UserTC

Honorable
Nov 10, 2014
Howdy!I recently bought a Gigabyte X99 Gaming 5 motherboard and I need to do a BIOS/UEFI update via a USB flash drive.Kind of scares me to do that but I have no choice since these boards are known to have turbo boost issues due to the half-baked BIOS they come with.I'm just a poor padawan when it comes to computers so here are my noobish questions:

1.Does the USB drive have to bootable in order to flash the BIOS?
2.Do I need to copy all the files from the self-extracting Gigabyte exe to the drive or just the ".F" followed by a number file?
3.Do I need to clear CMOS after the update?Manual says nothing about that.

Thank you and please excuse my English.I am not a native speaker.Peace!

netnavi01

Reputable
Oct 30, 2014
if the bios recognizes usb to flash the bios then it is fine.. seriously new mobo can update via usb these days, rather than the old ones that need floppy disks...

netnavi01

Reputable
Oct 30, 2014
just follow the instructions at your board manufacturer on how to flash bios on a usb then your all set i think youll have to navigate through your bios from the usb

UserTC

Honorable
Nov 10, 2014
Thanks man!I do not intend to use a floppy disk to do the update.That would be nuts.Just wanted to be sure that a regular garden variety non bootable USB flash drive would do the trick.I want everything to be done by the book.Expensive hardware and noobs don't go well together.Ok,two more questions to go.

netnavi01

Reputable
Oct 30, 2014
you dont need to update the CMOS because when you update your bios the setup utility automatically erases the old files and replace with new ones.
i think you need to see the instructions now ! on copying bios flash from your manufacturer.

UserTC

Honorable
Nov 10, 2014

Been reading the forums for a while now and noticed a lot of mixed opinions about clearing the CMOS after a BIOS flash.Some say do,some say not needed.So not really sure.I just want a perfect update to avoid potential nightmare scenarios.