Does it make sense to lock my monitor at 50Hz instead of 60Hz to get a more stable gaming experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

himmatsj

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014
In a number of games, in particular Shadow or Mordor and Watch Dogs, I do not get a smooth 60fps, but mostly between 50 to 60fps. As such, I was wondering, would it make sense to decrease the refresh rate of my monitor to 50Hz instead of the preset 60Hz?

Are there any potential downsides to this? For example, will it effect the rest of my regular computer usage, or cause damage to the monitor in the long term? And do you think this is something good to be done, or not?

Thanks!

Solution

50 Hz will be less work for the GPU to maintain vsync, correct.

You may notice the lower refresh rate if you are sensitive to that kind of thing.

Xtinction

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
I dont think so I believe this is how it works with Vsync and without:

Without Vsync: your pc just outputs what it can, the max fps you will see is 50 fps, whereas it used to be 60 fps.
With Vsync: your fps will be 50 or 25(!!), depending on if your system is able to render 50 fps quick enough. If not it will drop down to 25 fps.

[update] Actually you may have a point, but only with vsync. As long as you never drop under 50 fps, you should get a smoother experience (a constant 50 fps) as opposed to 60 hz, where it would occasionally shift between 60 fps to 30 fps.

he is not using vsync.. he physicaly set his monitor to 50hz

Xtinction

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014

Yeah I understood that, but whether it will help or not depends a lot on if he's going to use vsync or not...

very true.. but vsync on watch dogs will probably kill his system jk lol

himmatsj

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014
Just as a clarification, I am currently on a 60Hz monitor and using Adaptivve Vsync (which means Vsync is on whenever I hit 60fps, and it disengages when I dip below 60, resulting in screen tear).

What I am thinking of doing is setting my monitor to 50Hz setting, and then with Adaptive Vsync (or even full Vsync) try to achieve a constant 50fps gameplay with no screen tear.

So yeah, is this something worth doing, and is it something sensible to you? Will reducing from 60>50Hz impact my regular computer usage in any way?

Xtinction

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
This is one of those things that you should just try. Just set it to 50 and see how it feels. Ingame you may get a smoother experience, you'll just have to see how you feel about 50hz for the rest of you pc usage.

if you are using adaptive sync ther you are ok.. nothing to worry abt, yu will have smooth gameplay... its just more work for the gpu

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

50 Hz will be less work for the GPU to maintain vsync, correct.

You may notice the lower refresh rate if you are sensitive to that kind of thing.

Solution

any vsync is more work compared to no vsync... i use a 48'led tv as a monitor.. i play watchdogs on ultra... i use vsync and my fps drop.. i switch it off and my fps are 50-60 without any screen tearing

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

No its not, you are mistaken. Vsync actually puts less load on the GPU as the framerate is limited, stopping it going higher than the cap and working harder.

Watch dogs is a bad example as its poorly optimized anyway.

true.. true..

Antonio1941

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2015
Im currently playing Ghost Recon Wildlands. I set ingame resolution to 1080p @ 50Hz refresh rate and enabled V-sync. I have nvidia 1060 6GB, and sometimes it drops FPS in GRW to 54-55 Hz causing V-sync increased input lag and when using nvidia fast sync there is more micro stutter.
By setting refresh rate to 50Hz, GRW FPS never falls below refresh rate, so I have MILKY SMOOTH GAME EXPERIENCE with V-sync enabled. Are you worrying about that 10Hz reduction? How many "speed" are you losing? Let's convert HERTZ TO FRAMETIME.
60Hz = 1/60 =16.666666666667 ms
50Hz = 1/50 =20 ms
So we are "losing" 3.333333333333 ms.
Me personally, I can't FEEL the difference of 3.33 MILI-SECONDS.
I CAN FEEL 30FPS (33.333333333333 ms frametime).
Conclusion: I can run games at 50Hz/50FPS V-sync on with negligible performance "hit" of 3.33 ms and save a ton of money in my pocket. Gaming industry is lying to you. Math doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.