Is it broken?

pwilliams84

Reputable
Nov 10, 2014
I have an ASUS PN5SLI 775 ATX and intel processor. One day when turning the power on I heard a loud pop and it smelled like smoke. Then pressing the power button gave no response. I didn't do anything with the machine for a few months because I didn't have time for it, but when I got back to it I assumed the PSU went out. I order a new PSU and put it in. Still no response. Did the paperclip test to make sure PSU is good and it is. The light is on on the MOBO, but the power button does nothing. I tried to bridge a startup with a screwdriver but got nothing there either. I removed the processor and gave it to an old co-worker to test and he gave it back to me and said it was fine. Now I don't work with him anymore.

I'm very novice when it comes to this. What should I do? Part of me just wants to buy a new MOBO, but I have no idea what will happen if I do that? Will it start up? Will the machine get confused and will I have to fix it manually or will it find all of the drivers? I don't have a CD rom for this machine, I just used it for iRacing only.

Thanks for any and all help!

pwilliams84

Reputable
Nov 10, 2014
I put in a GeForce 9800 GTX or something to that effect back in 2010. at work right now so I cant quote which one exactly.

It most likely has onboard graphics on the CPU. Intel does that on most of their CPU's. Do you know which CPU you have in it?

But I would suggest removing the GPU (graphics processing unit...the GeForce GTX 9800) and use the onboard graphics to see if the GPU was fried.

Well it will just not show any display. When you say the power button does nothing, no fans spin or anything inside the computer? Because if they do, then it would make me think the GPU is fried. But the computer should still start just fine and everything, just no display if the GPU is fried.

I can say with almost 100% confidence that your PSU blew up. And when that happens, it usually takes other parts with it. So there is a very good chance that it is your motherboard. It could also be ram. And ram with keep the computer from booting. So if you have other ram you can test, try it.

I just check that the core 2 duo's don't have integrated graphics. So if it does have onboard graphics, it would be on the motherboard. Can you tell me which motherboard you have?

pwilliams84

Reputable
Nov 10, 2014
I tested the ram in another machine so I know the ram is fine there's nothing that happens when I press the power button no fans no nothing the motherboard is a PN5SLI asus