Is it broken?

pwilliams84

Reputable
Nov 10, 2014
I have an ASUS PN5SLI 775 ATX and intel processor. One day when turning the power on I heard a loud pop and it smelled like smoke. Then pressing the power button gave no response. I didn't do anything with the machine for a few months because I didn't have time for it, but when I got back to it I assumed the PSU went out. I order a new PSU and put it in. Still no response. Did the paperclip test to make sure PSU is good and it is. The light is on on the MOBO, but the power button does nothing. I tried to bridge a startup with a screwdriver but got nothing there either. I removed the processor and gave it to an old co-worker to test and he gave it back to me and said it was fine. Now I don't work with him anymore.

I'm very novice when it comes to this. What should I do? Part of me just wants to buy a new MOBO, but I have no idea what will happen if I do that? Will it start up? Will the machine get confused and will I have to fix it manually or will it find all of the drivers? I don't have a CD rom for this machine, I just used it for iRacing only.

Thanks for any and all help!

pwilliams84

Reputable
Nov 10, 2014
I do know that the ram is fine. I pulled it out and put it in another computer to test that. Will I need a whole new Windows install or can I just hook my current HD up to the new MOBO and it will run off of that? I don't know that I have the install disk anymore.

pwilliams84

Reputable
Nov 10, 2014
I was able to confirm that it is an intel core 2 duo 2.4ghz, and like I said it functions fine. you still would recommend a full replacement of mobo, proc, and ram though?

pwilliams84

Reputable
Nov 10, 2014
ive never ordered from dabs before. im in the US and this appears to be UK. is that an issue? I was searching on newegg for a similar combo but the 775's are scarce