Which linux distro fits me best?

AHashemi

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
Hi!
I've been using windows for long years but now i have decided to have a linux based OS alongside windows. (since I use adobe softwares, MS visual studio and of course GAMING, I can't completely move to Linux)
I need this Linux distro to have these:
1- I can discover different Linux options and learn.
2- be able to use maximum hardware capabilities (ram, cpu, vga,...) since i have a mid-end system and i don't want it to be useless!
3- i want a clean and beautiful UI.
4- has widest app range!

Based on these I narrowed my search to Ubuntu and OpenSUSE. but I'm looking for more expert help. :)
Thanks in advance! :)

Nobody can tell you which Linux distribution is best for you. The great thing is that they are all free, so you can try several and make the descision for yourself rather than asking other people to. You seem to have done some research and be aware of the major distributions to try.

If that doesn't make sense to you then I'd suggest that the best distribution for you is Windows.

Aristotelian

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2012
You aren't describing anything unusual, so most any mainstream distribution will work. The main functional difference between Mint and Ubuntu distributions is that Mint comes with commercial codecs (for listening to .mp3's and such) automatically installed. Within each family, there are also different variations with different desktop environments depending on the balance you want between efficiency and features. The most lightweight are based on LXDE (LUbuntu and Mint-LXDE), somewhere in between use XFCE (XUbuntu and Mint-XFCE) as well as Mint MATE, Cinnamon, and "plain" Ubuntu. The most complex use KDE (KUbuntu and Mint-KDE), but even those should run on decent hardware.

Matty175rocks

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014
I would look at Ubuntu or Zorin OS even though they don't have advanced widgets Zorin has a look changer and wine pre-installed and Zorin and Ubuntu has wide range of sub-operating systems or others based on each other(Ubuntu-kubuntu, lubuntu ect, ect)(Zorin-gaming,lite, standard,ect ect, ect) there are also many other options but I would recommend at least having a test on these OS. Plus I forgot to mention but these two OS both have software centres to install a wide range of software with.

FiL

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
I'd give Fedora a try,

you need to add the rpmfusion repos or your choice of software can feel a little small. It'll make you learn a lot more about Linux as not everything is done for you....however it's still user friendly enough for a mid-level person.