Motherboard bios update for overclocking

tristaniawretch

Reputable
Nov 8, 2014
hi!just wondering if u could help me out a lil bit here
i have an asus b85m-g r2.0 motherboard and an intel petium g3258 cpu...
now here is my question...
my MOBO currently released a BIOS update that supports g3258 (bios version 2001 and up)...
now do i need to update my mobo's bios using a different cpu rather than the g3258 (correct me if im wrong, is it because in my own understanding that my mobo's bios does not support g3258 yet until it is updated)????or will i do a bios update without a cpu attached to it(is it even possible)???

P.S. i dont have any spare cpu...so i think the latter part should be my only option(ive seen asus mobo do a bios flash using a usb stick but not all mobo's support it and also i dont know how to do it either :D)...

so any solution is welcome!!!:D

sorry for bad english guys..............

Ck1_13

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Flashing your BIOS re-writes the ROM chip on your motherboard, to make the system more compatible with things, such as newer CPU's, or to improve functionality / or fix bugs. It shouldn't matter what CPU you have in the system, if the system boots, you can flash the BIOS. In my case, I just upgraded a Duo-Core last week to q Quad Core. My BIOS stated at boot "new cpu detected, to get full functionality from the CPU please update the BIOS. The 2.5 ghz quad cpu was running at 2.3ghz, till I updated the BIOS, now it runs at proper 2.5ghz.

tristaniawretch

Reputable
Nov 8, 2014

so that being said its fine if i use my g3258 in updating the mobo's bios as long as a the mobo detects a cpu it supports(even though the g3258 will not run on its full capacity until the bios update)?