Modeling and Rendering 3D workstation (i need help for proffessionals )

Artan1

Reputable
Nov 11, 2014
Hi all ,
(sorry for my english, i hope you will understand :S )

I am an architecture student, and i have a question about an workstation i am thinking to buy:

Right now i am using a laptop : Dell n5110 (i7 2670qm@2.2ghz ,nvidia 525m and 8 GB ram).
I am planing te get a workstation and i found one in my country for a good price i think :

It's price is : 500€ (620 us $)

It's performance :
CPU: e5645 @ 2.4ghz (6 core/12 threads 12mb cache)
RAM: 8GB ram 10600 1333ghz ECC ( i can upgrade later)
GRAPHIC CARD: nvidia quadro 4000
HDD : 320 gb ( i will add an ssd 840 evo 250 gb)

My question is : Does this pc work fine for my work, i am going to use these softwares:

archicad 18 ( or higher)
Autocad 2015
3ds max 2015 (Mental ray and V-ray)
artlantis 5 for now

I am going to use my pc to design houses, buildings ,interiors and when i have free time for modeling in 3ds max 2015. I will not design very large scenes like in games or cities, i will design medium scenes.i read online that quadro 4000 is professional grahpic card, but it was released in 2010 (i think) is it a little bit old? does it work better than most of 2014 game cards?
i am confused about age of this workstation, but benchmarkes tells me that it is good.

How will it work for me ( good/very good or great), and will it work good for me for me next 3-4 years.

Sorry for all that long text, i am not very good at english and couldn't expres my self shorter.

Bye all of u have a nice day

Know that the Xeon E5645 is a little older than your i7 2670QM. Having said that, on paper the Xeon should outperform the i7 by a small margin.

http://ark.intel.com/compare/48768,53469

As for how it will perform with current software, it's hard to speculate.

Quadro cards (professional cards) focus on characteristics other than gaming cards. SO in raw performance they are not as powerful as gaming cards of the same generation - they do a better job at rendering, though and their internal paths for color, etc, are usually wider, giving more accurate rendering of color (not that that matters much to you).

More than that I can't tell you. Except maybe that your laptop in today's money is worth about $300. :)

Artan1

Reputable
Nov 11, 2014
I think quadro will do a good job, with my laptop's nvidia 525m i am doing some small job, but with quadro even if it is older i think i is going to work ok with bigger scenes and more complex work, as i read on internet it is powerful graphic card .

Thanks for ur answer @ancient ( i am new to this forum )

mlga91

Admirable
The video card alone costs around that price ($600-700 new). Its a great deal, the cpu is a bit old but its still great for those programs. Quadro cards are meant to be used with those programs. Its well worth the price that you're paying for it.

Artan1

Reputable
Nov 11, 2014

Thanks a lot, short and clear answer :)