Upgrading my XFX Radeon HD 5850 1GB GDDR5 - suggestions?

mrsamdk

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
I currently have the following GPU:
XFX Radeon HD 5850 1GB GDDR5
PCI-Express 2.0, "BLACK", 2xDVI-I, HDMI, DisplayPort, 765MHz

Im first of all looking to upgrade this one because it makes a lot of noise (in general - its not broken).

I work a lot with heavy graphics files in the adobe package and hear searching for something with GPU accelerated performance could be an idea.

This one has been recommended to me:
GeForce GTX 760 4GB
256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support SC 4GB w/ EVGA ACX Cooler Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130949&cm_re=gtx_760_4gb-_-14-130-949-_-Product

Would that be a good upgrade? Any other suggestions?

BUILD:
PSU:
Corsair TX 650W PSU
ATX 12V V2.2, 80 Plus, Standard. 2x 6+2-pin PCIe, 8x SATA, 120mm

MOTHERBOARD:
ASUS P6X58D Premium, X58, Socket-1366 DDR3,
ATX, 2xSATA 6Gb/s, USB3.0, Firewire, 2xGbLAN, 3xPCI-Ex(2.0)x1­6

AshyCFC

Honorable
Yes that's good card although I would go with the 2GB version instead of 4GB. There is very little difference between 2 and 4GB, look here;

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Video-Card-Performance-2GB-vs-4GB-Memory-154/

Also, your motherboard is quite old and so what processor are you using? It may limit your GPU's performance.

mrsamdk

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010

Hi Ashy- thanks a bunch for the recommendation! Appreciate it.

My CPU is:
Intel Core™ i7 Quad Processor i7-920

I have been told that the mobo could surely need an upgrade - but as I also understand, upgrading the motherboard would most likely have me to upgrade more or less every other component like RAM, GPU, CPU. Though the thing is, im actually also looking to buy some additional RAM, so perhaps there is some reasoning in upgrading MOBO + CPU and just get RAM + GPU that would fit with the new mobo. An extra cost, but atleast i'd be investing RAM + GPU in something new (and more future proof). Still a bit split on this matter though :)

AshyCFC

Honorable
Well your current RAM is DDR3 so you could use it in a new motherboard no problem and same with your current PSU/Hard Drive.

You'd only have to replace the Mobo,CPU and GPU the older parts would still work.

also I didn't read the part about heavy graphics files before my mistake. Do you work with high resolutions? E.G above 1080P

mrsamdk

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
I do work with high resolutions as you mention - yup.

Ok, being able to re-use some would surely help out on the cost part of things, guess I try and poke at it and see what a potential new mobo + CPU would cost.
Not to offtrack the topic here - but do you know what PSU is worth looking around for?

AshyCFC

Honorable
Then my mistake, if working with high resolutions you will want the 4GB Card(General use no dif between 2gb/4gb but the higher VRAM is very helpful at above 1080P)

In terms of a power supply you can't real go wrong with this unit: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550sxxb9
It's probably the most recommended power supply on this forum in terms of affordability and value for money and will be able to power MOST single graphics card+CPU combinations out there including for example your system+ the 760 4GB.

mrsamdk

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Great thanks Ashy - just a stupid follow up question on the PSU - what puts this one a part from the one I have? Specs seem to a mortal guy like me more or less the same - just the one I have can take more watts? (which is good or??)

AshyCFC

Honorable
not much, your current PSU is actually fine no need to change.

I was just responding to you asking about a PSU.

In my opinion you don't need to change your PSU unless it's showing signs of age like (random rebooting) and even there it might not be your PSU.