Best Multi-Purpose Monitor

Tyroneshuz

Reputable
Nov 7, 2014
I am building my first PC and am still trying to figure out the right monitor to buy. I will be using my computer for web browsing and gaming, but am hoping to get the most out of my R9 280X GPU within my budget of $250-$300. From what I understand, the best gaming monitors don't make the best monitors for general web browsing and movies, etc, and vice-versa. I'm looking for something that will be easy on the eyes for reading text for lengthy durations and also something that will show off the power of the video card and i5-4460 processor. Super high FPS aren't the most important to me, but I don't want a lot of screen tearing or ghosting either (couple of new terms I've picked up from reading this forum :)). It seems like IPS monitors might not be the best for gaming but have the best pictuers otherwise? I am looking in the range of 23 to 27 inches. Any and all recommendations would be appreciated! Thanks!

Solution
I can personally vouch for the asus vg248qe. I use it for some heavy gaming, but definitely regular web browsing as well. Its price point is very nice for the value you get. Huge display, really fast 1ms response, and 144 hz refresh. To me, it has no rival at 1080p when it comes to gaming and regular use. There is a really, really nice color profile you can dl, as the out-of-box colors are less than impressive. The profile i use has my display looking better than anyhthing i've usd though. Good luck in your search!

Maxwell4ME

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014
The best option if you're wanting a gaming monitor is the ASUS VG248QE http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2HH7G0. It's the monitor that I have and for a TN panel it has a great picture quality. Once you go to a high refresh rate monitor for gaming you will never want to go back to a 60Hz.

The performance of the monitor is exceptional and the ability to upgrade the monitor is another bonus. I have a G-sync Kit and also the NVIDIA 3D Vision 2 Kit installed and both are a lot of fun.

SHATORR

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014

Tyroneshuz

Reputable
Nov 7, 2014
Thank you both. Maxwell, is there an AMD equivalent to the G-SYNC or anything comparable to it that I could do with my r9 280X GPU? I'm thinking that the VG248QE is going to be my choice, so it's good to know that the picture is good for web browsing, movies, etc. and not just gaming.

Tyroneshuz

Reputable
Nov 7, 2014
I guess my concern is just getting the best quality for my money and the price that I am paying for a higher scale GPU. I want a monitor that is good for both web surfing and gaming, but gets the most out of the video card. This is my first time building a computer and I have never used a nicer monitor, so this is all new to me.

SHATORR

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014

I understand your concern, just throwing this in here ;)
GIF1.gif

GIF2.gif

Oh and do excuse the mess, hahaha

Maxwell4ME

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014

I believe that AMD is working on something called FreeSync but not sure when it will be available.

SHATORR

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014

Hah, it's messier to the other side! But yeah, considering the price, I was surprised by the quality! Sure, it's plastic BUT it looks good considering the price. Due to the price, I'm going to get another one and mount them side by side :p

questionslol

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014
I can personally vouch for the asus vg248qe. I use it for some heavy gaming, but definitely regular web browsing as well. Its price point is very nice for the value you get. Huge display, really fast 1ms response, and 144 hz refresh. To me, it has no rival at 1080p when it comes to gaming and regular use. There is a really, really nice color profile you can dl, as the out-of-box colors are less than impressive. The profile i use has my display looking better than anyhthing i've usd though. Good luck in your search!

Solution

SHATORR

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014

How big's the difference between 60 and 144 Hz? I barely notice any difference between 30 and 60 fps lol

questionslol

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014

You know, I didn't think i would either. I'd say, if you have th horsepower in your system that justifies that refresh rate, it's definitely worth going for. I mostly notice it when i'm doing quick, sharp movement in succession; i play a lot of WoW arenas, and that's where i notice it most. Now, to be completely honest, I don't see much of a difference between 120 and 144, but that's just me.

SHATORR

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014

I only get around 95 fps in WoW maxed, guess it's time for another GPU hah
But yeah, will definitely consider 144Hz next time I'm somewhere they sell monitors!

questionslol

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014
Hey 95 is more than respectable! I'm not constantly sitting at 130-140 fps either though. in pvp situtions and usually in raids i'm above 100-120, but wow has weird areas where fps just drop randomly.

Anyway, the vg248qe is highly reccomended. Cant go wrong with it.

Tyroneshuz

Reputable
Nov 7, 2014
Thanks questionslol! I think I'm sold. It has solid reviews everywhere and it sounds like it'll be good for everyday web browsing and gaming. The potential degredation of picture quality when web browsing and watching movies was my primary concern. Really appreciate the input from everybody!

SHATORR

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014

Glad it turned out well, good luck mate!

questionslol

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014

Absolutely, man. No problem at all. When you do get your monitor, use this color profile:

http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/1wxse9/just_bought_a_glorious_asus_vg248qe_gaming/

That is what makes the colors really fabulous.