Newly built computer not making POST beep or showing on monitor

bhayes3x

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014
Hey all,

I built my first computer recently, had a friend help me, watched a ton of videos and read quite a bit about it so I didn't for anything; however, now that I have finished it I seem to be having a problem starting it up for the first time.

Specs real quick:
AMD Athlon X4 860k Quad Core CPU
Antec 900watt psu
GTX 970 GPU
MSI A88XM e45 motherboard
Corsair vengeance 16gb (2x8) RAM
Case is a Corsair Obsidian 350d
and a 500gb Intel SSD
Samsung ODD

Problem:
Starting it up for the first time, I believe I left out the little speaker that connects to the pins on the motherboard, (not referring to the case audio) but I plugged it into my monitor with a dvd-I cable into the port on the graphics card then flipped on my power supply and turned on the computer. Nothing appeared on the monitor and I didn't hear the POST beep for 15 minutes or so, so I turned it off. I then read that i needed to plug in the little 4 pin speaker cable into the motherboard, so I did, not sure if I plugged it into the right 4pin slot, though.

After that I plugged it into my monitor again, same result. Tried my small TV with an HDMI connection; same result.

I have everything plugged in, surely, both the 24 pin power cable and the 4 pin cpu power cable, the GPU is plugged into the power, as is the SSD and ODD, I just don't know.

If anyone can help me with this, I would be very grateful.

Thanks

bhayes3x

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014

As a moron to these kinds of things, can I ask;

Are you saying I can update my motherboard to support that CPU (if so, how?)
Or do I just need to buy a newer motherboard?

If that BIOS isnt on it now, you cant update it since it has to be going to flash it

If this is what the prob is you'll have to take it to a shop and ask them to flash it with a CPU it supports then put this in it

Or you'll have to buy another CPU it supports now then do it

If it doesnt have that BIOS on the mobo now, its not going to turn on, or post or do anything

I dont know about the beep some dont beep. And it would have to turn on before you get a signal

Have you tried removing that GPU and seeing if onboard works

And if that GPU you installed has power connectors on it did you connect them?

bhayes3x

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014
Well the computer does turn on, the fans run and the disk tray will open, yada yada, just no visual on the monitor of any kind

Yes the GPU is plugged in, I also tried removing each of the RAM sticks one at a time and still no results. The front power button works because I'm turning the PC on that way.

bhayes3x

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014
Here's the problem; I went through that long list of things to check "No POST, No visual" that thread, and I didn't have any of the problems it lined out.

everything is plugged in fine, installed in the right place, the front panel connectors are installed, I've tried running without either stick of RAM, etc.

I bought the motherboard new off amazon and it is suppose to support the AMD Athlon X4 860k, so I just don't know what.

It does support the CPU BUT like I said unless the right BIOS (25.3) is on it NOW it wont do anything

And I dont think onboard will work so you cant try that. Because that CPU doesnt have integrated graphics on it

Look on the mobo by the BIOS chip or the box. Does it show a version of the BIOS or something?