Nvidia kernel mode driver crash

yandor

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014
Recently I've been having a lot of problems with my computer and I am trying to find the source. I think its the graphics card but I'm unsure. The problem mostly occurs when I try and play games, nothing too graphic intensive like Word of Warcraft or League of legends. In the case of WoW what typically happens is I log onto my character and everything is fine. After a minute or two, my monitor will turn off and display "power saving mode". While the monitor is off, the game is still running in the background. The monitor comes on and off a couple of times then the game crashes and I get a "nvidia kernel mode driver crash". I have tried deleting and installing different drivers, cleaning the components, checking the fans speeds and the other components. I would greatly appreciate any help with this problem, before I go and spend money on something that I might not need. If there are any suggestion for graphics card please let me know. Thanks for the help.

Here are my specs

System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: X58A-UD3R
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
Graphics Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
PSU: 775W
Memory: 8192MB RAM

Solution
I've been having the same situation for over 6 months. If you have a spare or second PC around, try putting your video card into that to test and see if it crashes there as well. If it does, you have a bad video card and you should RMA it. if it does crash, or you do not have a second PC to test, there are other things you can do.

First and foremost, did you user the driver scrubber in between installations (clean install) ? You can also try changing a registry key to allow more time for the response time.

1. Open REGEDIT
2. Using Windows 7, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\GraphicsDrivers
3. Once there you will most likely have to create a new DWORD (32bit users) or QWORD (64bit users). Name it TdrDelay.

malfatore

Reputable
Mar 14, 2014
I've been having the same situation for over 6 months. If you have a spare or second PC around, try putting your video card into that to test and see if it crashes there as well. If it does, you have a bad video card and you should RMA it. if it does crash, or you do not have a second PC to test, there are other things you can do.

First and foremost, did you user the driver scrubber in between installations (clean install) ? You can also try changing a registry key to allow more time for the response time.

1. Open REGEDIT
2. Using Windows 7, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\GraphicsDrivers
3. Once there you will most likely have to create a new DWORD (32bit users) or QWORD (64bit users). Name it TdrDelay.
4. Once created, change the value to 8. This will allow the GPU 8 seconds to respond instead of 2 seconds.

none of these worked for me, but other people reported it was working.

if that does not work, you can try swapping the graphics card into different slots and see if that works. sometimes of the peripheral slots on a MB is bad.

let me know if none of that works. i got a few more potential fixes.

Solution