All about SSD format, usage, where to place swap/stuff

Krau-T

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014
Hi, well.. my first SSD arrived. Now i thought pretty simple to get a professional guide on the web :pt1cable:
I dont want struggle clicking any source 5 years old or for mainstream excel user lol so i tried find good google hits.
My intention was to take a guide from TOMSHARDWARE since i dont know which gaming website have skilled users and i forgot the names of this extreme hardware/overclock websites lol
So after reading alot stuff, in the end found a guide on TOMSHARDWARE but from 2009 :no:

Ok. Got old machine dell (lool) t3400 (0tp412 with x38) a stupid core2 with the usual dell PROBLEMS ,only sata 2 and so on (u know source for drivers for my next windows setup?)
I kept an eye on the ssds future abilities and a cheap price.
When i know more about this stuff i'll download and buy 64bit windows.
Ram will be 8gb but right now its very low.

Usually i run some mmorpg with multiple instances at the same time (5-8 low fi 3d games simultaneous) That eats tons of ram and cpu 100% anyways.
Thats why i want large swap file on it and of course windows + very low number of games and if i want use heavy duty program like after effects in future.

Should i put all this on the ssd? (sys/swap/prog ..its slowed by sata2 not to forget ;))

The disk is Corsair hyperX 120gb SH100S3120G
Its unformatted, 2nd hand and i only ran hdtune til now. Not sure if better wait til have file system on it for a new bench. http://i61.tinypic.com/dqsy3c.jpg
Pretty slow (due to clean disk?) and this peak at 75% was caused by taskmanager.

Basically you may tell me the free programs of first choice please :)

I dont need all informations like AHCI and trim on, prefetch defrag indexing off, move windows download directory to other hdd and so on.

First i must test for errors or if necessary first format (alignment?) by the progs you tell me to use.
I have to give feedback to the seller that anything is ok :D
Anyone got a guide?
(reset factory defaults too or may i ask if the guy already did that before send it to me)

Tooi read some things in this old thread like disable write cache since ssds not have cache..
but i know modern SSD have ram inside so is this like a hdd cache? Or does windows anyways set it up by self?
And i read to should not create swap (paging file / virtual ram) on disk since its wearing down fast and stuff like that lol. So just want to be sure this old infos are false nowadays as i believe.

It will be best not to create partitions right? so (if its ok to place there) swap file and stuff fragment alot but not care for it and the wear down is reduced when its spread all around?

Well nuff said before i write a book.. thx in advance for your performance / management / setup suggestions or guide, and sorry for my bad english ;)

(smart http://i62.tinypic.com/eqoupv.jpg http://i62.tinypic.com/2nrg7b4.jpg)

omg.. i changed suffix in adress bar to .com but landed in britain.. im so sorry but thats what happened :p

Whether to create a swap file at all, and whether to put it on the SSD or an HDD, is a question that has generated much argument and is subject to heated debate. I am firmly in the put-it-on-the-ssd camp, on the principle that the machine is there to work for me, and the faster it works the better.