How many people have 2 monitors for gaming? TN vs IPS

jbell2825

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014
Just curious if anyone have bought two monitors for gaming. Use one for FPS and then switch to the other for regular viewing, RPG, strategy games.

I'm really struggling on what monitor to buy. I am planning on a new build with an i7 and 970 GPU. I dont want to spend a lot of money on a new system only to have a monitor that cant take advantage of what my computer can do.

http://

This what I currently have picked out. I am trying to keep total system under $2k. Any thoughts on monitor? In my system in general?

Solution
I like to use two intake fans behind a filter.
That is called positive pressure. It filters all incoming air and keeps your case cleaner.
I think that will be enough.
It is easy to add another exit fan later if you think it is needed.

IPS will have a better 178/178 viewing angle.
Supposedly better color, but I don't know how much difference that makes to the gamer.
tn panels have faster refresh rates. Again, I don't know how important that really is, I am not a fast action gamer. All monitors will refresh at 60hz That is sometimes a game imposed limit.
If you have any way of seeing both types in person, do so.

You might buy the ips version and see how that does.
If it suits you for gaming, then buy a second one.
If gaming is...

jbell2825

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014
Are they different monitor types? What I am trying to figure out is just how drastic the diffrence between the two types is. Are TN monitors that much faster than IPS, do they colors suck that bad?

On monitors, dual monitors is not an issue. The side monitor adds negligible load.
I use two 2560 x 1600 monitors and get a steady 60fps gaming on one with civ V.

GTX970 is a great card for you.
I can't say much on fast shooter monitors, but 2560 x 1600 or 2560 x 1440 is great for most everything else, particularly strategy games.

Complicating things is the advent of 4k monitors.
I think 30" will make text too small.
I am awaiting the Phillips 40" BDM4065 which can handle 60hz via displayport.
I think it will be perfect for strategy games.
Fast action games may be an issue with 4k monitors. Do some research.

We keep monitors for a long time pick the best and shop well.

Good build.
I have a few suggestions:

120gb is a bit small for the os. The "C" drive can get filled up quickly.
I suggest 240gb. The pro version is a bit more expensive than the EVO which performs equally well.
The added endurance of the pro is not worth much since all current ssd's will be long obsolete before they wear out.
Sales abound. You might even consider 500gb and deferring on the hard drive.

2. I might omit the fans. The case comes with plenty of good fans. More fans just add to noise and expense.
Your parts are not overly hot anyway.

3. I like the GTX980 titan cooler from EVGA. It gets the hot air out of your case directly.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487068&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

I like to use two intake fans behind a filter.
That is called positive pressure. It filters all incoming air and keeps your case cleaner.
I think that will be enough.
It is easy to add another exit fan later if you think it is needed.

IPS will have a better 178/178 viewing angle.
Supposedly better color, but I don't know how much difference that makes to the gamer.
tn panels have faster refresh rates. Again, I don't know how important that really is, I am not a fast action gamer. All monitors will refresh at 60hz That is sometimes a game imposed limit.
If you have any way of seeing both types in person, do so.

You might buy the ips version and see how that does.
If it suits you for gaming, then buy a second one.
If gaming is not adequate, research a more gaming specific monitor.
I like to have two identical monitors for an expanded desktop. Dragging a window from one to another will not result in color changes or size changes.

Solution