Best way to avoid ESD without wrist strap or mat?

carterdarter

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
I will be building my computer and everyone seems to answer this slightly differently and any forum posts are old so I was wondering what EXACTLY I need to do to avoid it. I understand it would be easier to just buy a strap, but I am not waiting 2-3 weeks for a strap when my computer is going to arrive in 4 days. Thanks.

Solution

Touching a wooden table won't help you, but touching your metal case will. As long as parts of you case isn't painted over and they're showing bare metal, just touch the metal bits every now and then to discharge any static built up in your body. Either that or go to your local supermarket and buy latex gloves.

carterdarter

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014

Ok thank you :)

No. Only certain cases that needs it will provide a riser card.
If you using a normal midi case you shouldn't need a riser.

carterdarter

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014

It's a micro atx Aerocool Dead Silence Cube?

Your case doesn't need one. Your motherboard will lay flat.
You just need to plug in your GPU( if you have one) into the PCIE slot on the motherboard.

carterdarter

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014

I'm sure my motherboard needs screwed in though, right? But you are just saying I don't need risers?

carterdarter

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014

No the little screw things that keep the motherboard from touching the case.

Entomber

Admirable
standoffs?

Usually cases come with standoffs not preinstalled, since the standoff orientation may vary depending on the size of motherboard you wish to install. They will come with standoffs and instructions, though.

They called motherboard standoffs. Your case should provide them for you.

carterdarter

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014

Well I am going to be working on a wooden floor and I rarely wear socks unless I am leaving the house so I should be fine :D

Friji

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2014

Touching a wooden table won't help you, but touching your metal case will. As long as parts of you case isn't painted over and they're showing bare metal, just touch the metal bits every now and then to discharge any static built up in your body. Either that or go to your local supermarket and buy latex gloves.

Solution
Oct 18, 2018

Let me join in this discussion since I'll also be building my pc this coming weekend.

Hi Friji,
I think my apartment doesn't have correct "ground" wiring so connecting the PSU and touching the case will probably make no difference.

So, I'm going the route of using gloves. Can you explain more on the science of this? So even if I have ESD built up, does the glove act as an insulator which prevents the flow to the computer parts? If so, does it matter if it is not latex? Currently, I only have some nitrile gloves on hand.

TRENDING THREADS