Having problems with new MB. Can't update BIOS, would lose warranty.

Dejan Mijatovic

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
Hi. 2 weeks ago i got a new motherboard and cpu to upgrade my old pc.

The motherboard is: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4519#ov

GA-Z87-D3HP

Cpu is: http://ark.intel.com/products/75123/Intel-Core-i7-4770K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz

i7 4770k

As for the rest of my pc:

Memory is Kingston HyperX 8 gig's at 1600mhz,
I only have one GPU and it's the MSI GTX 760 (factory OC),
PSU is the Cooler Master Extreme Power 460w,
I don't have any extra fans or anything that could consume more Power.
HDD is Western Digital Blue, 1TB with a single plater on 7200rpm.
I have no SSD, well i had but had to send it to rma, cause i was getting lot's of bsod after putting the new mb and cpu.
Monitor is LG2343 3D full HD, 60hz.

The problem i have is random pc freezes. It would happen by just browsing the web, and sometimes when exiting games. I've read that this particular MB has issues and that most of them are bsod's and freezes. People i asked reccomend that i upgrade the BIOS of the MB, but i was told by the place i bought it in, that if i updated the BIOS i would lose my warranty (it's 3 years...), and that the only way around it is to take the MB to them, and they will update the BIOS for me for like 25$, which is a ripoff.

Is there a hidden way of updating my BIOS, or am i just screwed?

Btw. the BIOS of the MB is F2, and the newest they have on site for this MB is F7...

ScarofScion

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2014
Not sure where you are or who you bought your MB from, updating the BIOS may violate the store warranty but it will not violate the manufactures warranty unless it is explicitly stated on the manufactures website. Whoever the store is that is telling you this sounds kind of shady. If they have that kind of a policy I would ask them for a full return due to a defective product and go to another store. If you have no other choice, contact Gigabyte they should be able to help you directly.

Dejan Mijatovic

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013

Im in Serbia, and its kinda the same for other retailers aswell... I dont think Gigabyte has an office here in Serbia, so contacting them would not acomplish much.

Because i cant really prove its the motherboard doing it, cause it would work fine for several days, and then just a random freeze out of nowhere. I had the exact same gpu, memory, psu, hdd before this new mb for several months and i had no problems at all. It all started when i put the mb and cpu in.

I would also like to add that i already did tests to both my cpu and memory, and both show no errors or any kind of problem, and from what i've been reading these last few days, GA-Z87-D3HP is apparently well known to cause bsod's and freezes on anything lower than F5 BIOS.

ScarofScion

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2014
It sucks to hear that is what kind of service you are able to get in Siberia.
By your description there is one possible fix that you may not be aware of. Ram Timing. Have you set this up properly on this PC? Your symptom occurs if you do not have the timing/latency/voltage setup properly.
However I do not believe Gigabyte or any major manufacturer would leave you dead in the water as long as you are willing to pay for shipping fees and can show proof of purchase from a qualified re seller.