NVIDIA 2D Surround

notneps

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2014
Will I be able to game on NVIDIA's 2D Surround with:

MSI TF GTX 970
one 24-inch 1080p monitor
two 18.5-inch 720p monitors

While it looks like Nvidia's 900 series cards are pretty hard to beat (AMD's got nothing on them), I'm kind of disappointed with NVIDIA's multimonitor support, it seems that Eyefinity is much more versatile/powerful.

I'm looking for a way to stay on the green team, so if Surround can power the setup I described above, that would be great. Will it work?

In THEORY you could run (based on lowest monitor resolution so 4096x768 is likely the max resolution).

However, it's a horrible experience running a game on three monitors if the screen size isn't the same. Not only is there the GAP between monitors but now things won't even line up vertically since one is 18.5" and one is 24".

I'd suggest gaming on the main 1080p monitor only and just use the others for non-gaming tasks.

*In the long term I'd suggest getting a G-SYNC monitor in a couple years when prices drop. Similar to the current but expensive Asus ROG Swift.

Other:
The NVidia 900 series supports THREE MONITORS in Surround plus a fourth monitor for non-gaming. You'd have to read your manual further for the exact setup but again I wouldn't do that unless all monitors were the same resolution. I should also add they need to be set to the same refresh rate such as 60Hz which is likely not an issue.

notneps

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2014

I wasn't talking about 3D surround, just treating three monitors as a single flat panel. Isn't NVIDIA 3D surround different from this?